speedstep CPU

Does anybody know, is frequency trottling enabled in the MDK-supplied kernel (2.4.22-26)? AFAIK, speedstep_centrino should be loadable as a module, but I get this

# modprobe speedstep_centrino
modprobe: Can't locate module speedstep_centrino
# service cpufreqd start
Starting cpufreqd : Unable to find a cpufreq interface, please ensure to have cpufreq enabled in the running kernel.
Exiting.
                                                               [FAILED]

Edited by coverup

Here's part of my default 2.4.22-10mdk config file

# CPU Frequency scaling #

CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF=y

# CPUFreq governors #

CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API=y

# CPUFreq processor drivers #

CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7=m
CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL=m
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=m
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=m
CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m

How does your config file look like? Try browsing around your /lib/modules/linux/ subfolders, there should be a file called "speedstep_centrino.ko.gz". also try adding "speedstep_centrino" at /etc/modprobe.preload.

If the module loading fails then you should be able to see it in dmesg.

Thanks, arthur. I found those lines in /boot/config-2.4.22-26mdk but not in /boot/config-2.4.22-26mdkenterprise. Is there any particular reason for that? I have 1 Gb RAM, if I use plain 2.4.22-26, suspend/resume does not work well.

After I boot into 2.4.22-26 kernel, I was able to load the module speedstep-centrino and start cpufreqd..

Nonetheless, /proc/cpuinfo does not change when I plug/unplug the power cord. How do I check that the CPU frequency has changed?

Check /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0 and see if there's a throttling file. If there is, you can throttle the cpu by issuing a command like this as root:

echo 5 > /proc/acpi/Processor/CPU0/throttling

Where the 5 represents a number that is listed in that file. On my laptop it's 0 (100% CPU power) to 7 (83% throttled). It only goes down so far, though; so throttling a 1GHz processor down 83% will not produce a 170MHz processor. I think the cupoff on a lot of centrino's is 600MHz, but I'm not sure.

If you use more than 1Gb RAM, you MIGHT need to use another kernel...but I don't know, I don't have that much :(

kernel 2.4 reportedly has a problem with ACPI. I'm using 2.6.3-mdk kernel now, on a P4-M laptop with speedstep (not centrino) with few problems. My battery status is ok...so I've removed my 2.4.22 kernel. I don't use apm anymore, 2.6 works well with acpi. B) suspend/resume also works, but I'm still tweaking it to make it faster. B) B)

Edited by arthur

Enterprise kernel was Mdk installer's choice, not mine...

I would try 2.6 kernel, but one thing scares me... How do you, kernel 2.6.x guys, get around setting a video adaptor? I mean, I stuck with 2.4.22-26 'cause mandrake had matching ATI drivers for my Radeon M9 videocard. With a 2.6.x kernel those drivers will likely be unusable. On the other hand, I've heard so much frustration with compiling those ati closed source drivers. Frankly, it's a bit scary...