sudo and startx

paleo

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to auto login into KDE without using a graphical login manager and the auto-login feature of it. Here is one thing that kind of works:

sudo -u {username} -H bash -l -c startx

if I put this is as the last line of rc.local, it will startx as the user {username}. It all seems fine except that the PATH remains that of root plus whatever other directories I specify for the user ($HOME/bin, in my case). I could get around this by modifying .bash_profile, BUT:

I was wondering if there are other things that are bad about 'logging in' a user in this way. Are there things that a user could execute with root privileges on this way of logging in?

Are there other ways of accomplishing what I want? Basically, I need a way of logging in automatically.

In case you're wondering: I don't like graphical login; I once had a bad experience with it as a newbie and developed a phobia; plus, booting takes longer.

I can't find anything on the security implications of root sudoing as a normal user (I guess it's not a normal thing to do)...

Anyway, just found out that something simpler does it and seems safer, too:

su -l {username} -c startx

this way, I don't have any environmental variables around that indicate something funny. With the sudo method, some env variables clearly indicate that root is sudoing as a normal user.

One catch is that on this method there is no login prompt available. On ctrl-alt-F1 I can see the X startup messages, and X is running on ctrl-alt-F2. The rest is blank. I guess not too bad. I can still bail out of X and get to a prompt with ctrl-alt-backspace or ctrl-alt-F1 and then ctrl-C.

Edit: never mind. As they always say, rtfm. man inittab just solved things. no need to deal with rc.local.

Edit2: one more thing. When I do this 'auto login' thing, the who command returns an empty list. No one's logged in. Is this bad? Things seem to be working but...

Edited by paleo