Different # of CDs

LinNew

it's not a testing release, it's actually what used to be the final release of Mandrake, they've just relabeled it "Community" and created a new, more stable, less cutting edge release which they will label "Official". I mean, if it's the basis for the stable branch, it can't be a testing release...

What will come out as the Official equates to what came out for clubmembers only: 9.2.1 (December).

There is no other equivalent, the current Community release would in the old release cycle be the standard final that would go onto the boxed product.

This is the final as much as 9.0 final, 9.1 final and 9.2 final were final (and those before).

Apparently there are less messages on the buglists and on usenet than normally after a final, so this could be either a really good one, or too many people are sitting things out until May, in which case the new development will be a disaster -- the real bugs may only come up in May, and also be present in the boxed products.

Please everyone, stop stating that 10.0 CE is not the final.

1) it is just not true, it is just as much final as previous finals were

2) if people take that as fact, in the end, the Official will not be as good as it might be, since too many people just wait things out.

In the second case, I can only say that I think the Official should only go on boxed products and be available to Clubmembers, and no one else.

Since with GPL this is perfectly possible, you can charge for a binary whatever you want, you just have to make the source available.

I can already hear the outcry by mostly the freeloaders, but so be it. If not enough people test 10.0CE then OE will contain critical bugs, and not get sold so well, hurting Mandrake's bottomline. The way to prevent that in the future will be to only make CE available.

Which I would find, as I said, perfectly possible and acceptable.

What if I just want to buy the boxed set but don't want to join the club. Are you saying that ONLY club members should have "Official -Final" release? Or do you belive that club members should have acess to the "final" and all others pay cash? I could live with that solution.

I hope people do test the community release, as doing so will only make the release better. I'm no expert but I'll do my part . (whiich on second thought.........)

both the community and final release will be available for download by everybody, club members will simply get "first dibs" so to speak...read the press release: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/pr-releaseprocess.php3 it explains it all very well.

also, club members above the standard membership get more perks.

Edited by tyme

Read again: I said:

"the Official should only go on boxed products and be available to Clubmembers"

So if you buy a pack, it should and will contain the Official.

I know that this time around, they said they will make the Official available, but they may change that in the future, which they will have to if they want to make the Official really rock solid. Now it looks like many people who would normally go for this final may hold off, therefore reducing the number of installs of the CE therefore leading to a less tested/improved OE. But the objective was to get a better OE than the final/CE...

I fully agree with aRTee. However if there are less bugs listed for 10.0 then e.g. for 9.2, then I think that indeed a lot less people are installing. Don't get me wrong, I think 10.0 rocks, but there are quite a lot of issues. But overcoming them is certainly worth it.

Ciao,

Wim

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where EasyLinuxcds were based and according to Laptopgadget it seems that their postal service really suxs!

Well, 16 days have passed since I ordered MDK 10 with Easylinuxcds and have got nothing yet! I live in SouthAmerica and usually get my stuff in 7 to 10 days from the US, even from the UK but it seems that it takes forever ordering stuff from CA.

Have contacted them about this problem and hope they give me a solution.

• 4 years later...
Guest mandriva man

EasyLinuxCDs is under new management and its based out of Montana, USA. Shipping should take a fraction of the time now for Mandriva 2008.1 CDs and DVDs because everything goes out US Priority Mail!