Different # of CDs

LinNew

Hi to everyone! :D

I was searching over the web but couldn't find the correct answer.

I have read at the Mandrake Club webpage that the PowerPack edition includes 5 cds. But in www.easylinuxcds.com are selling the PowerPack edition in just 3 cds.

Why the difference? Can anybody tell me please? Probably easylinuxcd is not given the appropiate information or something.

Many thanks in advance

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The "Powerpack edition" that is being sold online is most likely the download edition. The powerpack should have at least 5 cd's. The 3 are going to be the same no matter what, the other 2 will have extra programs, drivers, and other goodies on them.

If you don't have a burner and a fast internet connection to download the iso's, it looks like a good place to get the cd's.

It looks to me like the price is the same for both, and they say that the 3 cd power pack edition they are selling has more drivers and such that are not on the download edition; but I'm not sure. Looks ok to me, but I download and burn my cd's; so I have no need for a reseller.

I ordered some hours ago their PowerPack too.

And within an hour got a shipping-confirmation e-mail. As I'm an overseas I will have to wait 10 to 15 days for the Cds to arrive but it will be worth it.

I hope their PowerPack is really a different version from the downloadable Standard edition. :unsure:

Regards.

:juggle:

As soon as I get the CDs and give them a try (hopefully everything will go smooth) I will let you know.

But what I am anticipating is that my winmodem will not work (according to linmodems.org) so I will have to switch to Windows for posting.

I am anxious to get Mandy 10 as I tried RC1 but gave me big troubles with the sound. I hope everything will be fine now.

Salamandra

:thumbs:

An important thing to note is that this is not the final version of MDK 10. 10.0 final won't be released until May. My guess is that this is another RC, just not labled that way.

I am running this version (from urpmi upgrades) and everything is just fine for me.

If your guess is correct LiquidZoo, then bad news for me as I said I have terrible problems using Mandrake RC1 in the sound department. For example today I wanted to try it again, have installed it and it's the same thing: Totem or XMMS crashes the whole system! and the first time I want to configure my desktop nothing happens, even when I double-click on the Home icon.

Everything (except for sound) get fixed when I go to MCC and do anything within it, like installing XMMS or any other software.

I hope is not RC1 but the Community Edition because if it is I will have to request my money back. :angry:

Will wait to get it and let you know what was all about.

Regards.

The real question is perhaps do these Cd's represent the updated mandrake Cd's. If they do then they are possibly a bargain :D

Presuming you are willing to PAY for CD's instead of downloading due to the limitiations of your internet connections then the x hundred MB of updates is hardly likely to be attractive to download.

LiquidZoo, I disagree. This is the final. The version that comes out in May equates more to the 9.2.1 clubmember release they did in December.

According to the Mandrake Website:

Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official, the version that undergoes a longer test period, will be available in May, as part of the complete range of Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official retail packs which include support, printed documentation and new Mandrakesoft services and tools.

This is not the official release of 10.0, it appears to be more of a testing release.

Also according to Mandrakelinux:

What follows is the development process for our next major release, Mandrake Linux 10.0:

1) After the traditional debugging of several Beta and Release Candidates, the final version of "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community" will be released in February/March. This version will be available for download and as a DVD-set through e-Commerce.

2) Then a Mandrake Linux 10.0 Stable branch will be opened, based on Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community. Security updates and bug fixes will be applied to this tree and will be publicly available in real time.

3) Two or three months later, in April/May, "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official" will be created from the Mandrake 10.0 Stable branch. It will then be packaged for several products such as the Mandrake Linux PowerPack. Mandrake 10.0 Official ISO images will also be available for all contributors and Club Members; then, after a short delay, Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official Download Edition will be made available on public FTP mirrors.