Advice please!

Peppercorn

I have a friend who has just offered me a position that could earn me quite a decent living for a few months, which is a miracle around here where I live.

I know computers back the front as far as building and identifying problems with them and therefore fixing them, but I am far from a software expert.

He has offered me the job because he trusts me basically.

He has bought a bakery and wants me to advise him on a software program that he will be able to use as a running sheet. How many buns were made, how many sold, how many left over, etc etc. He wants to be able to record any practice or inventory that he wants to.

I figured that all this could be achieved on a spreadsheet type program or mysql?????? Of which I know NOTHING about!!!

Firstly, am I right about mysql or a spreadsheet being the right type of program to use??

If so, which one would better suit the job?

If not, does anyone know of a Linux App which would be able to do that type of job??

Thanks for any insight on this topic

Peppercorn

If there is lots of information to be saved day by day and the database system will be used for many years to come, then something like MySQL or an MS Access-like software could do the job.

As far as I know a spreadsheet has a limit. I cannot recall the exact amount of cells or information it handles, but is limited. Of couse a dabatase manager has a limit but can store lots more of information (2GB on Access 97 & 8GB on Access 2000 for example).

In the case of using a database manager you have to create all the forms so the user can fill the information in and also some coding has to be done. For example in Access -which I have worked with- I had to code in VisualBasic for handling the information input by the users.

As I am knew to Linux I don't know about an MS-Access equivalent for Linux yet so I cannot mention any. Sorry for that, but I am sure the other guys will give you some alternatives if you choose a DBM.

Good luck!

You are making the classic mistake of asking what can a computer do?

Well it can do anything.

What you need to ask is what does your employer want?

If all he wants is a record of what he has done, any text file generated by any text editor can store that information.

Counting stock he can do with a spread sheet, but at every point of sale, the spreadsheet must be updated.

If he has an EPOS (electronic point of sale machine) this can be connected to a computer database so he can keep a record of everything going through the till. This is probably your best solution.

The hardware is easily available and uses a standard (RS232) output.

MySQL is now an industry standard database with GUI front ends and all sorts of tools for the setting up and running of it.

Everything about database management and setup is in the tutorials from the mysql website. (SQL was developed so managers could use it. That means it was written for idiots).

The tricky bit is getting the database schema correct so it produces meaningful information.

By the way, if he wants something he can show the tax man at the end of the year, he is going to need an accountant.

Peppercorn:

Well actually first a welcome to munterman.....

I think you might do well to listen to him :D

If this is a friend then perhaps you might be better being straight up about this.

Designing databases isn't all that hard once you have made your first mistakes :D

Seriously, its something that takes quite a bit of practice to get right.

And like he says, if its something for the tax man as well then you really need to BUY commercial software or at least whatever the accountant is using ... or be able to send the information to it.

My personal view is that MS Access is a trap you dont want to get into.

Good database design and integrity don't just happen and Access produces nice looking crap. My brother has a small factory and uses Access to do the ordering and inventory.... it all kinda works but needs constant attention.

The sad thing is the longer he uses it the more work it is to actually get it into a real database. without my brother maintaining it the whole thing would quickly fall apart and without me on the other end of the phone a couple of times a year it would have been a mess several times over.

If you do this I guarantee youll make some mistakes.... make sure your friend knows this and doesnt expect a single fully functional DB in just a single try.

Client input is the most important part.... it involves prototyping and then checking the thing behaves in a usefull way. One way is that databases follow business practices but since he's just bought this bakery it seems unlikely he will have any really srtong practices to use as a base !

Hi,

Imho developing a specific app linked with a database is a big job. Even the simplest one. You know when you start, you don't know when you stop. You want to build a little house, on the way you realise you are building a palace.

The best is to buy an already made soft for simple stock management. They are often offered on accountability suite. Likely to run on M$ Win but well.

Just my 0.02 Euro cents

Thanks for all your very good advice!!

I have arrived at the same decision after much thinking and reading.

1 Find out what he wants!

2 Can it connect to an accounting program and a POS cash register?

3 Explain to him the enormity of the exercise.

Thanks again, I meet with him on MOnday, so I will get the answers to some of those questions at least.

Cheers,

Peppercorn

I just found this app which may help you, although I don't know if it will work for a bakery, but certainly worth looking at to my opinion:

http://www.sql-ledger.org/

features (short):

* Accounts Receivable

* Accounts Payable

* General Ledger

* Inventory Control

* Billing / Invoicing

* Purchase / Sales Orders

* Customizable Taxes

* Multi-user

* Multi-company

* Audit Control