Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition installation

aRTee

It was necessary since the mirrors were not up yet, it contains a lot of things that are normally in the contrib repository.

Nothing you cannot get in a normal way now that Mandrake 10.0 went public.

Where can I find that contribs?... How could I know whats the content of the fourth CD son I can search for that adictioanl RPMS?

I always installed from CDs but I have no experience with contribs... :(

Chucho!

• 4 weeks later...

aRTee,

There's some great info on your site. I finished a clean, single-OS install of 10-CE this morning in the wee hours (never could get my CD and CD-RW to be properly recognized under 9.2 and had a thread going here). I really appreciate all the folks in that thread who tried their best to help as well. Since I never could get that install going my way, I got frustrated and just burned 10-CE and decided to install it instead.10-CE found both drives immediately, although is still had one as scsi and the other as ide. I added the <hdd=ide-scsi> and <hdc=ide-scsi> entries into /etc/lilo.conf and everything is fine now, CD wise. However, it seems as if I traded the CD problem for an internet-related one! Go figure-- out of the pan and into the fire, right? :thumbs: . Story of my life!

Actually the 10-CE installation is running, pretty well, all things considered given that I am so new to Linux and judging by the various troubles I've read that others have had so far. Thanks to your review and several other docs I found around the web and these forums I had no actual install problems to speak of at all--I already love this place and just joined a week or so ago. I updated using the tutorial from Steve Ambrose (on using urpmi) and am on my way to having a great installation going on here, surprisingly stable for a rush-to-"gold" release. I also found another thread by anon on cooker being the proper place to update 10-CE from; I wasn't aware of this caveat being a n00b and all. Thanks for that, anon. As soon as I can get KBear to recognize the host I will go there for another round of "good" updates instead of the few I hunted around for before. The good news is though, if I can't get KBear to get them, I have a pretty good handle on using urpmi from the command line now... B)

Anyway, enough back-slapping, beer-swilling and jocularity. I am encountering the following three problems with the install (two of which are just bootup/shutdown symptoms of the same root problem):

• When booting, the only failure I encounter is with my eth0 device/services, whatever. I receive the following error message:
    Starting internet connection if needed: usage: ifup <device name> FAILED

• When I request a reboot, I receive the following message as the OS goes through its shutdown routine:
    Stopping internet connection if needed: usage: ifdown <device name> FAILED

• Then, a couple of lines further down, when the shutdown routine reaches this code, it hangs and I have to cold boot to regain control of the machine:
    uhci_hcd 0000:00:07.2: USB bus 1 deregistered

When I run $ ifup/ifdown from the command line, neither command recognizes the card as even being installed (the card is a 3c905 100Base TX (Boomerang)). It has always ran fine under Windoze and ran fine under 9.2. However, for some reason, I cannot get 10-CE to play well with it. I have been trying to configure this card/connection since the initial install but nothing seems to work. What I am trying to do is get it working with my small network. At the moment, this Linux box is configured as a client for simplicity. Be that as it may, it will eventually become the static IP addressed PDC for my 4-box network and host a bevy of servers.

I have been in and out of the Control Center so much I'm surprised it even asks me for a password anymore... :lol2: . I have assigned the card/device DHCP and other settings as outlined in Steve Scrimpshire's post here; meaning I set my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (as detailed). I have also tried assigning a the static IP that now goes to my main Windoze box and configuring both router and firewall to see that setup. Still not working for me.

Any advice help in this matter greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, back to trolling for all this GREAT information I've been finding... :deal:

Cheers!

Ci

Edited by Ciinien

I came, I saw, I kicked its... well, you've all seen Ghostbusters I would imagine... :P

It took digging through many forums and old posts, reading a bunch of docs, and generally $ vi -ing first this file and another but I finally figured out my problem and got everything running. So now I'm posting from my brand new installation of 10-CE and marveling at the "smart guys" who sit around, become bored, and dream up stuff like Linux... :idea: B)

The problem turned out to be a combination of 10-CE not liking my 3c9x series of NIC and the hotplug code. I got to the point where I was ready to chunk the box out the window but decided to install an older 3c509 TP card that I had lying around. It didn't at first work so I dug in the forums more. I stumbled across a thread referring to a cooker newletter remark that the hotplug code was not quite ready for prime-time in 10-CE so I disabled that as well. Still no joy at that point.

I did a complete, new install, wiping the hdd in the process and when the box came up, with no hotplugging and the 3c509 card, everything worked great. I $ vi -ed the CD players to ide-scsi in /etc/lilo.conf again and now both shutdown/reboot and start up report no errors whatsoever. Not that there isn't some bug just waiting to fly out of the core code at any given time, it's just that I think I have them all swatted for the moment.

Thanks so much to everyone for continually experimenting and posting your thoughts and results on these, and other forums and sites.

Cheers!

Ci

Edited by Ciinien

Thanks for the welcome, aRTee. Aye, for one who wishes to explore, your site offers much info!

As for the taking care of myself, it's my ability to admit that I am totally clueless coupled with my ADD/OCD personality that makes me dig and ask questions of those who do know until I also know the answers--after all, a sick mind is a terrible thing to waste... :lol2:

Cheers!

Ci

Hello,

I am new to the mandrake users forum. I'm so happy about this thread I wanted to add my installation notes if I could since there may be people who are looking for the same things.

My system consists of

MSI SiS chipset

Athlon XP 1800+

20 GB HDD

1 GB RAM

GeForce4 4200 64 MB

If you are installing the Nvidia drivers, you will want to download the latest from the site. Make sure that you have the kernel source files installed or it will kick you back out.

Once you have downloaded the drivers and have the kernel source installed, restart your system and hit "i" to go into interactive setup. Login as Root and navigate to where you downloaded the drivers. You will need to chmod the drivers so type "chmod a+x (name of Nvidia drivers). then type ./(nameof nvidia drivers) and follow the prompts. If you have the source installed the drivers will take care of the kernel and the drivers. If it finishes without error goto "/etc/X11" and type "vi XF86Config-4" and use vi to change the module from "nv" to "nvidia" make sure "glx" is on there which it is everytime I have done the installation. on the top is a reference to use Unix fonts....put a # in front of that as it will cause issues. save and exit that and restart. If successful you will see the Nvidia splash screen...welcome to 3D. I have Unreal Tournament 2003 installed and the framerate is outstanding...about 110 fps at 1024x768 at the highest points.

I also installed the newest Java and many may not get thiers working right. I chat on a java-vm based site at times and getting Mozilla to work was a pain till I found out something...install j2re-1.4.2 and add the link to the folder /usr/java/j2re-x.x.x (x being the version)/lib to ld.so.conf. Once done, type ldconfig -v and it will set it throughout the system...this must be done as root or su. It has worked 5/5 times.

I know these are simple things but being new to Linux and still learning everyday I thought I would pass along what I have found after countless installs of MDKX.

As for my installation of UT2003 if you want the info...ihere is the trick...DO NOT CD INTO /mnt/cdrom or it will not umount the disk...when it asks you for cd 1 goto a second prompt and type umount /mnt/cdrom and it will let you use all three disks as normal. Took me a few restarts to figure out not to go into the directory.

Also, smb2k4 rocks. I hadn't used it till I installed MDKX. I always used LinNeighborhood to get to my smb shares but I found smb2k4 to be a much better app.

Can someone help me with something? I seem to have issues connecting to ftp - especially cooker - and I think it may be my port settings, can you please tell me how to test this and how to change the setting if that is the problem?

drummr, welcome to this board,

First a comment:

You will need to chmod the drivers so type "chmod a+x (name of Nvidia drivers). then type ./(nameof nvidia drivers) and follow the prompts.

Well, not really. You can just do:

sh [name of Nvidia drivers]

and the installer will start too, no need to mess with chmod. I also have a page on my site that explains the nvidia driver installation procedure. Never commented that fontline, never had problems there, but thanks for the info, in case others do have problems.

As for the configuration tips, thank you. Note that I have some hints up too on my website, config page. (on java, flash, and more)

You're right about the unmounting - use the command

lsof

to find out which process is blocking the umount command.

To answer your question:

Cooker and other ftp repositories are in trouble at the moment, if it is not just the regular issue, just open a new topic in the appropriate subforum.

Stick around on this board, and don't be shy to speak up. If you don't explain how you do things, no-one will tell you there are easier ways.

Sometimes people use different ways, and they don't seem easier to you at the moment (for instance, commandline stuff that you are not yet comfortable with), but you will learn more and more, and may like alternative ways better in the future. Always good to have more options...