MDL 10.0 Community:problems, workarounds and fixes

sitor

Hello,

I just installed MDL 10.0 community. Although I am quite satisfied, there were some problems. For one of these I found a workaround which I will describe below. I was hoping that others that have found a workaround or fix for a 10.0 problem might post it in this thread as well, so that they are all together.

Here goes mine:

When installing 10.0, my mouse did not function at all. It is possible to do an install without it, but I needed quite some special partitioning and could not get it done without a mouse. After trying several things, I found out that if I plugged out the Keyboard connector (not the mouse connector, indeed the keyboard connector) and then simply plugged it in again, that all of a sudden the mouse did work. Installation could then be done with a working mouse. However I was not able to fix the problem. Each time I boot the machine, the mouse does not function till I use the same trick. Livable, but quite annoying.

I wanted to file a bug report, but seemed not to be the first. Posted my workaround on the wiki as well though. Just for completeness: My mouse is a regular Compaq PS2 wheelmouse. The other person that already filed a bug report used an optical PS2 wheelmouse.

Hope this helps someone.

Ciao,

Sitor

Edited by sitor

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of people that wanted to put all tips and tricks together apparently. Everybody just starts a new thread. Oh, well, as long as it's on the board.

Just to inform people that might have had the problem that I described above:

I tried a mouse from work (a USB optical wheelmouse), and that works 100% correctly. I have to return it though, and I'm afraid that with my own mouse (which I use at work now), the same problem will appear again. I will post again in that case.

Sitor

Anon,

No you are right, I know. It will never be a 10.0 Final, it is CE now, and at a certain point it wil become Official, but never Final. But we're having this discussion already in that other thread aren't we?

I'll try the updates this evening or tomorrow. Way too little time to spent on my box. I have a wife and kids, practise two sports and sing in a chorus. Don't start laughing, it is a great hobby. Very relaxing, and it gives me the sensation of being applauded by a crowd of several hundreds of people once every couple of months.

But the result is that there is only very little time left for my fourth hobby: Mandrake Linux.

I visit this board during my lunch (eat sandwiches in the meanwhile), if work allows, but only have once or twice a week to really play with my Mandrake box.

Ciao,

Sitor

• 4 weeks later...