please help me again

Guest Brit

Hi all

I know that i had resolved a similar issue like this before, well with all your help that is, but im here again.

I built a new computer and refuse to go back to windows....but i can not get mandrake 9.2 installed. After days of playing around with it i finally reinstalled from scratch and i am stuck at the configuration screen. I cant get any gui to load.

This is my new specs this time:_

Shuttle XPC SB61G2, P4 1.8ghz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, AIW PRO 9800, and yes i still have that Sony HS73 Flat Panel monitor that i believe is the problem.

Last night at command prompt i tried to start x with no luck the error message was no screens found. So using the advice of others in here before this is what i did. At the boot screen i ESC and entered linux 3.

cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4-drake

XFree86 -configure

i didnt get any further than that it froze.

So next i created a new user with drakconf and started again. Still no luck

Then i tried : XFdrake -expert -noauto

All the error message i get seem to be no screen found.

Ok so as i said i reinstalled, and i have left it at configuring the graphics screen.

Please please help me one more time.

Sue

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again

I want to add that i went over all the old posts from last time this seemed to happen, and i followed all the advice that everyone gave me. I still cant get it working.

And oh how i loved it...it was a refreshing change form years of Windows.

Sue :help:

problem is that evil ati card... i bet $100 on that

*checks to see if board has address*

if you can paste your xf86config-4 here, please do so, and we'll see if it can be changed...

also, try running /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config as root, and making yourself a new config file.

Choose the most basic options you can, use the vga driver, don't try radeon. Choosing the monitor sync rates is tricky... use the web or your instructions.

sorry if i'm repeating/conflicting with old advice, i didn't see the other thread.

Hi

I finally got it working... i had to use the vesa driver, but i do have a gui. Although the resoultion is bad, and i have tried to change it but with no luck.

So i have more questions..how do i go about getting my ati aiw 9800 pro card to work???

Sue

Waiting untill ATI puts out a better driver that covers it.

Thats the bad thing about opensource. Except in a few cases we always seem to be waiting for hardware manufacurers to catch up and write drivers for us.

Or if you get lucky an opensource driver is out that works. But since I don't have, and it looks like never will have, an ATI card I'm of little real help.

But then again when am I ever really helpfull? :screwy:

You could give the new drivers a go.

But, just don't change your current XF86Config-4.

What you can do is this:

and first make a backup copy of your XFconfig:

cd /etc/X11

cp -p XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.works

Install the ati drivers as per their instructions. I can imagine that the process is similar to the NVidia driver installation process, which is described on my website...

If things don't work, and you get the noscreensfound error, all you have to do on the console is:

login as normal user

give the following commands:

X -xfreeconfig XF86Config-4.works &

(not sure about the -xfreeconfig, do a 'man X' to get the right syntax - I'm not at my linux machine)

this should start the blue X screen with a cross-shaped mouse cursor.

use ctrl-alt-F1 to get back to the text console where you were logged on.

Do:

export DISPLAY=:0

startkde &

This way, at least you can get your display working back to the point it is now - so there is no big risk in trying the new ati drivers.

More a word of encouragement than anything else - it IS possible to get a 9800 pro running Linux, I have it working right now.

Unfortunately I did it using some of the tools in gentoo, so I have no experience of getting it to work in Mandrake, but it should be possible...

Hi all

Ok so i downloaded the radeon drivers...and tried to isntall this is what i get.

"To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (9 MB):

fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386

Is this OK?

Installation failed:

file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-23mdk"

Idont understand what that means!!!!

Sue

Hi again

I like Mandrake, but i can change to a different dist. What would you all suggest inorder to use my current video card. As i said before this is a new system and i dont really want to go buy a new card.

Sue

Your probably better off trying to solve the problem before you jump to another distro - although that may end up being an option

Hopefully someone here can help you solve the clash error you're getting. Essentially one RPM is trying to overwrite a file that's already on your system

Hi all

Thanks for all your help, i believe i got it working.

from CL i ran rpm -i --force fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm

then i ran fglrxconfig

Sue :D