Installed Mepis Linux

Darkelve

Just downloaded Mepis Linux today (well, what with Mandrake 10 at least 2 weeks away :P )

and was up an running within half an hour. My internet connection (with the Linksys Wireless Bridge) works as well!

I am guessing it is something related with Debian. The IP addresses (through DHCP) keep behaving weird and jumping up every time I connect (one time it's -say- xxx.xxx.x.13 next time it's xxx.xxx.x.27 ). Well who cares, it works!

The next three hours have been used configuring it, installing wallpapers, skins, and installing applications.

Sounds like I like it? You bet!

I have a feeling this could become a distro to stay on my hard disk. It has really interesting stuff too and I like the way the maker approaches certain things.

I'm still getting used to apt-get, but it's not so difficult I guess. Already installed Evolution and Mozilla Thunderbird with it. Just didn't dig Kmail.

The step from LiveCD to harddisk was really impressive to see as well! Of course the knowledge I've gathered while using Mandrake&other distro's helped a lot.

Just thought I'd share my happy thoughts! Go Mepis!

Darkelve

• 2 months later...

Well, well well, here's a lonely thread that could use some company.

About 30 minutes or so is all MEPIS took to grab me hook, line and sinker.

Last night (5/25) I booted into the live CD and it ran great. Then I got bold and launched the install routine. It was a beautiful sight! In less than 30 minutes my computer transmogrified from Mandrake to MEPIS.

The MEPIS install is probably the most impressive thing I have seen in 15 or so years of using computers. Everything works out of the gate and it is damn fast. During the install MEPIS asked me what to do with each partition that it found. I kept all my partitions the same and told it to format and reinstall root & swap and to keep home. Once the install was done I booted into MEPIS/KDE and my entire /home along with all my KDE settings were completely unscathed. Damned impressive. ;)

The first thing I did was installed Opera's deb package. Next up was Gaim. I didn't see a deb package on their download site and i'm not hip on compiling so I didn't want to take the time to step through it late last night. I just opened the shell and typed 'apt-get install gaim'. It was a beautiful sight. B)

MEPIS :headbang:

Guest javaman83

I'm running MDK10 right now, but previous to that I was running Mepis 2003.10. I absolutely adore Mepis, but I was very impatient for 2.6, and was having difficulties with the mepis betas. So as soon as 2004.5 final is released it will probably be back to Mepis.

MDK and Mepis are absolutely my two favorites though

I like MEPIS as well. I still keep it for repairs. It's easy to mount partitions with a gui in a problem system!

Just want to share a small 'success story' I had with Mepis recently.

At work, I had to convert a word document to PDF. Usually I do this at home, but this was pretty urgent. At the same time, I had a couple of images I made for work with Photoshop at home and put them on an USB flash disk.

But I forgot one tiny detail: we use Windows NT 4.0 at work, which means the USB flash disks cannot be used! Also, to be able to create a PDF would require me to request a license to our IT department for a PDF creation program. Which would also mean waiting for this process to be finished and for the program to be installed. But, I had no time!

So Mepis to the rescue! I booted it up the LiveCD and was sitting in a nice and comfortable KDE desktop.

UNLIKE Win NT, the Mepis CD could read from my USB flash disk. The hotplug worked great, so I could access the images on the flash disk. Then, I mounted my D: partition on my Windows NT install to get some other files to work with. BUT: it was NTFS so I could not write to it. So what I did after all the work was done, was get a few floppys and copy the work to that.

I processed the image with the Gimp (normally I use photoshop, but because NT crashed and my PC was in repair all I had to work with in NT was Windows Imaging [!] , which was a little awkward to work with (I MUCH prefer the 2.0 lay-out and menu) but got the job done.

Then I opened up the Word document in OpenOffice. Now this was quite a complex document: http://www.delijn.be/documentatie/vervoerb...bundel_2004.pdf

I had problems with bullet lists and spacing with normal OpenOffice. HOWEVER, Mepis apparently uses the 'Ximianised' version of OpenOffice, which rendered almost exactly (99,9% ) as it would have in M$ Word! I had no trouble at all correcting the few extra lines rules, fonts etc. to get a functional version. Then it was just 'export to PDF -> print quality'. This got me a very clean, quite SMALL PDF (see above link). Very comforting, since whenever I get a PDF from a supplier, I hold my heart when I see how many MB they managed to make it!

So I saved everything to floppy disk and to USB flash disk and rebooted into Win NT. Pity I had no network connection, since then I could easily have used Konqueror to upload it through FTP and Kate (or other editor) to change the code.

So what did I save? Well:

- time; the time it would have taken to get all the programs installed

- money; the money for the 'PDF creator' license

- effort; the frustration of having to try and create a banner with 'Windows Imaging' :P

- the pain of not being able to save everything on an USB flash disk and take it home.

- headaches for our visitors with dial-up connections ;)

Linux/Mepis just is THIS good! (propaganda :P )

On a related note, one of my collegues has problems with the stability of her NT systems. One of the difficulties she has, is that when she is browsing with IE, some websites she visits would 'freeze' the browser (Not responding). She made a service call to our IT dep, but because this can take a while, I helped her out a bit, by installing Firebird ;) (not really installing since it runs perfectly stand-alone). She has used it for a little while now and I did not hear any complaints yet. I'm hoping to win another Firebird/Firefox convert this way :D

Another tidbit: after some small hassles, SuSe runs very well now and I'm starting to really like my system. Overall, in the last weeks, Linux&open source has been very good to me :)

Darkelve

P.S. Don't mind the smileys, it's just the mood I'm in :D

Edited by Darkelve

Well, the most important thing is probably that you can VERY easily install MEPIS to your hard disk from the LiveCD. Next, Mepis consists of 2 CD's chockful of packages. It also has all kinds of small improvements which make life easier, such as a tool to clean up your files (unnecessary config files, browser cache, ...).

I like it because it's very practical. I even had it as a desktop for a while, but I did not keep it since I kept trashing my system with apt-get.

See also here:

http://www.mepis.org/book/view/1

Edit: oh yeah, and stuff like flash plug-in, Java, nvidia drivers, ... is all pre-configured!

Edited by Darkelve

• 2 months later...