LM 9.0 install woes

Guest Janca

I'm trying to install mandrake on a amd-k6 450 with 128 megs of memory. Everything fine until I start to install the packages. About every 5th file i get an error saying that it couldn't install the package. i haven't run the md5sum file (no idea how to use it), but i did check the numbers compared to the side i got it from. I've tried changing the packages, no change.

I burned the cd from nero, if it matters. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest jglen490

Very likely the downloaded .iso images are bad, or your're experiencing a CD-ROM drive problem.

For the .iso file possibility, run the md5sum (or md5summer, I believe in Windoze) program to tbe sure.

As for the CD drive possibility, it happened to me, and it almost drove me nuts!! So it may be worth checking if the md5sum process checks out.

Guest jglen490

You need a program that computes an md5sum on your .iso file. You then compare the computed md5sum against the md5sum file provided at the source of the .iso and they will either agree (good thing) or not (bad thing, go download again). There's no gray area where it can almost agree and still be good.

To find this program, go to google.com and enter a search for md5sum. You can download a version for Windows or for Linux from any one of several sites.

Ran md5summer, it checked out perfectly. I'm gonna burn a new copy of the first cd and try that, but i doubt if it will help. I'm still gonna keep an eye at this, if anyone thinks of anything.

:P hello,

I know that problem (redhat make same mistakes about this)

go to http://www.ravenousbirds.com/software/winmd5 <<<<checkpoint :twisted:

<<<<<<<<<This is a md5sum tool to check for the ISO file distributions

:!: :!: :!: :!: After download from the distributions server, check the md5Sum for a intact software

Drag in winmd5 the .iso file, wait , take a coffe, after that check the no from winmd5 with the no from the MD5SUM.txt´

i hope it will be the same for you

enjoy the linux world

Has your computer behaved normally in the past?

Also, try burning at a slower speed, and using good media.

If the software is good, then the issue is mechanical: media, cdrom drive, ram, processor, chipset, etc.

I have found that linux is unforgiving with faulty hardware.

If I had to guess on just what you described so far, I would look at the ram, and I would make sure the processor fan is working. AMD's run hot, and exceeding the temp limit makes odd sorts of things happen.

Guest phoneyman

There are some motherboards that the 2.4.19 kernel does not seem to like. I have a newer motherboard, but I've seen similar problems being talked about on Redhat's bugzilla with older machines too.

Neither Mandrake 9.0 nor Redhat 8.0 will install on my machine; both fail on the install - Redhat with a fatal anaconda error and Mandrake complains exactly the same way you report.

Try Mandrake 8.2, that's what I have to run for the meantime.

Pierre

You could try to take out any hardware that you don't really need for the install, audio, network etc.

Also, do you have the cdrom and harddrive on the same ide controller? You may want them on different ones, both as master.

Could you use another cdrom? Your burner, for instance?

You could try to check the cdrom by making an iso to the harddrive, and running md5sum on that.

Did you select all the right options in your bios, not overclock your machine etcetc?

What kind of memory do you have? If you have several sticks, maybe one is faulty, and it could help to remove that one?

(if it works with win, it doesn't necessarily work with linux and vice versa, linux uses the memory from back to front, so to say...)

(remember the PIII kernel compile issue that made Intel take the 1.13GHz version off the market..)

I have TWO Mandrake 9.0 boxes. The first is an Athlon XP with a DVD-Rom that I booted from. It reads CDs at 42x or something similar. I booted from the CDs (checked with MDSUM) and everything was smooth as silk.

However, my second box (a Duron) did not go so smoothly. That one has a 52x CD-Rom and every time I reached the midpoint of the package installation process, it would pop up an error message about not installing all the packages properly. My tried for four nights to get this thing working, but to no avail. Then I tried (as the above person suggested) booting the images from my harddrive across the Windows partition. That worked like a champ, and I was cranking in no time. I found the instructions on how to do this on the Mandrake site in the installation documentation. Sorry, but I don't recall the link. It involves copying the images from each CD onto your harddrive (Windows partition) and then making a boot disk. When you boot, it asks you where on your harddrive to look for the images, and then it goes to town...

My working theory is that some of the superfast CD-Roms currently on the market are over-powered. I remember first seeing the one currently in my Duron box at Best Buy. I was so impressed with the speed, but when I got it home, I couldn't believe how noisy it was! It actually shook my entire box and made it rattle on the floor beneath it. The kicker is that I don't think Windows spins this puppy at top speed. I think Windows puts a cap on the throttle. I don't think Mandrake's installation tool, however, has such a cap. Thus, it had issues reading from it properly. However, it seems to read from it well enough now that I have Mandrake installed. I claim to have ZERO technical knowledge in this area. This is simply what I think based on some limited and very basic observations.

Hope this helps!

--Akshun J