Need info for linux site

Urza9814

Aight, first I'd like to say I'm not posting here to get this site known, and this site is more a product of bordom than any real use...it's not trying to rival any professional linux pages and whatnot...don't ask why I said that, I just felt like I should...if you see the layout, you'll know that all already :-P

That being said, here's what I'm doing (I'll get there in a few sentences...): This all started as I was bored and looking at some wallpaper other ppl had done in GIMP...I started messing around with it, made a few cool ones, put 'em on my site. Problem was, they didn't fit on my site, and were therefore in a very obscure dark corner (http://urza9814.web1000.com/pages/Other/Wallpaper.html) so, I thought I should make a new site for them...but a new site just for wallpaper seems useless...so I decided to add some linux data. Here's the site: CAUTION: ALL LINKS GO TO ADVERTISING and here's what I need: I want any Myths, FAQ questions, Info in general, and Links, that you have know. Ask any semi-geek friends you have for Myths or FAQ...or things you used to think...or just what you think ppl might hear. See, the difference between this an most other sites (at least all the ones I've seen) is that it focuses more on what Linux ISN'T...whatever you say it is, you'll most likely have people saying 'but I heard...' or 'I thought...' where if you get them to just forget those immediatly by flat out saying they're false, they won't question it...or that's the theory anyways :-P

ADMINS NOTE

The link redirects to an advertisment http://www.paysforsurveys.com/ If this is an error please fix it. Otherwise this post will be removed. Additional warning by Ixthusdan

Edited by Ixthusdan

ADMINS NOTE

The link redirects to an  advertisment http://www.paysforsurveys.com/  If this is an error please fix it. Otherwise this post will be removed.

The link doesn't redirect me. (This is before I see anything that says the post was edited by Urza).

I see two frames: one top frame (small, for navigation), and one bottom frame (large, for content). Home page displays okay, but when I follow any other link, there will be advertising in the content screen (something about surveys).

I've got a nice story for you as well. When I have more time, I'll post it here.

Darkelve

I see two frames: one top frame (small, for navigation), and one bottom frame (large, for content). Home page displays okay, but when I follow any other link, there will be advertising in the content screen (something about surveys).

Ditto.

Except that I don't have any linux stories to tell really.

If you're looking for free hosting, maybe you could try bizhosting: http://www.bizhosting.com/

this will give you a domainname like http://linuxinfo.bizhosting.com/

The last time I tried that, I was fairly impressed. You get FTP access also. And I believe there were no ads required either, although I'm not sure if that is still the case.

There are no scripts and no database stuff, but if all you want to do is host some simple static pages, I think it will do fine.

Perhaps it's worth checking out.

Edit: I just checked again and the service is NOT free anymore. Kind of a shame really.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

ugh...yes, all other links are non-existant as of now, so you will get ads...I should have said that...it should just direct to www.web1000.com though...usually does...I dunno...

Darkelve - web1000 is a great host...no ads except the 404 pages...50MB space...totally free...only better host I've ever seen is T35 (unlimited space and bandwith) but they have, like, 3 popups per page...so I kept getting complaints...then I found web1000 :-p

Urza,

why not just upload some quick "under construction" pages to complete the links and end these 404 "file not found" ads?

<html>
<body>
<p>under construction</p>
</body>
</html>

and name a copy each for --- FAQs.html, Myths.html, etc. This way you will also be able to test if the frames load correctly.

The frames do load correctly...I can test that with the ads :-p

I'll start getting the pages up soon...my comp is just sooo slow...But I ordered more RAM last friday...ordered 4 times what I have

Correct me if I'm wrong, or if someone has said this, but I believe the problem here is that web1000.com redirects browsers that are from outside the US (or something like that). To test this (I haven't the time right now), set up your browser with a US-based proxy and then try his link. I'm here in the UK, and I'm certainly getting redirected.

If so, probably not the best choice for hosting a site of international interest!

Dave