The Linux Laptop you want to buy

aRTee

Well my ideal notebook would have to be 1Ghz... and about 3 lbs.. lindows sells a good laptop. but its not for the gamers...

CPU VIA C3 1GHz (and up)

Memory 256MB SDRAM (up to 768MB)

Audio AC97

HDD 20GB/40GB EIDE ATA 100

Optical Drive CD/CDRW/DVD/Combo options(USB)

Display 12.1" TFT LCD XGA 1024x768

I/O 2 x 4pin USB connectors, 1 x Mic-in,

1 x headphone-out/SPDIF-out,

1 x RJ11 Fax/Modem, 1 x RJ45 LAN,

1 x 15pin VGA, 1 x IEEE 1394,

1 x DC-in, 1 x typeII slot for PCMCIA,

1 x type II for CF card

Connectivity Integrated LAN, modem

Power Li-ion battery, 50-60Hz/19V

Weight 1.3KG

its about $800 US

• 4 months later...

Well, it seems a couple of weeks ago HP has more or less fulfilled the requirements to win the Linux Laptop Challenge, by offering a Suse preloaded linux laptop.

It seems it may not be easy/possible to order single pieces when not in the US; also, some of the options lead to the remark that the hardware would not be supported under linux.

The laptop seems not to be cheaper than the windows XP home counterpart, but at least it's 50 USD cheaper than the winxppro version.

On a side note, I have recently acquired a compaq (HP) armada m700, PIII 650MHz, 384MB Ram, Ati Rage Pro Mobile graphics, onboard ethernet and winmodem (which should work, haven't tried yet).

All major functions work, except suspend to ram and suspend to disk. (I'm about to open a separate topic about that.) Battery lifetime is around 3 hrs, nice.

Why I got this one? Well, it's a decent machine, and I got it cheaper than new dvd burners sell for, even with todays pricelevel.......... :lol:

What I would want can be best summed up as an Apple Powerbook, loaded with Linux...

I've messed around with one which was running Gentoo ppc - it was freakin' awesome.

If only they could shoe-horn one of them G5 2.5GHz in there a 17" would be all the more better!

I bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago, it's in my signature and I like it.