The Linux Laptop you want to buy

aRTee

Please read this page first:

The Linux Laptop Challenge

If you have any comments, other than what is requested that you post here, please post them in this thread: thread about the Linux Laptop Challenge.

Note: I will request the moderators to remove any post that IMHO doesn't belong in this thread -- which are any comments to the contest, this opening post or other laptop related things apart from 'direct orders'. Put that in this thread instead. If your comments make sense, I can and will edit this post and/or the Laptop Challenge page if necessary.

And now for the real subject of this topic:

Please indicate what type of laptop you would like, preloaded with Linux or at least MSWindows free (and no license either), using the The Linux Laptop Challenge web page as a reference.

Just indicate whatever points are most important to you, especially which features you really (don't) want/need.

Note: please do not use any absolute numbers where relative numbers make more sense: rather put: high-end cpu than: P4Mobile 3.2GHz HT; at any point in time it is possible to 'fill in' what the former is, but the latter may and will be a low end cpu at some point.

On the other hand: "more than 3 hours battery life when watching (decoding) a divx movie" seems quite clear to me.

Also indicate where you are, and what you are willing to pay for such a laptop -- note: be realistic. 800USD is not realistic for a high end high resolution laptop. Note: if your local currency is not USD or Euro, please also indicate the equivalent value in either USD or Euro.

Just consider what you post below as a direct order, apart from that you don't know who you're ordering from. (And naturally, that this isn't really an order -- no legal strings attached -- just an indication that you're serious about wanting a true Linux Laptop.)

Template:

Size: Small / Medium / Large

Style: Legacy / Non-legacy

Class: low end / mid end / high end

Extra features that I need:

Extra features that I would like:

Country / State / City that I live in:

Price I'm willing to pay: up to ..... Euro

My ideal Linux Laptop:

Small and light,

non-legacy,

mid to high end,

Must haves:

around 12", XGA (1024x768), x86 (x86-64), 512MBram, 60GB hard disk (or larger), dvd+rw drive, at least 4 USB2 ports, long battery life (over 4 hrs for office use, at least 3.5 hrs with divx/xvid playback), 10/100MB/s LAN, WLAN, onboard analogue modem.

Price: up to ~1500 Euro.

Edited by aRTee

Guest Joe Noob

Right now I have the Toshiba 5205-S503 that I bought about a year ago, and after upgradeing to the 2.24-26 kernel from mandrake update everything works great,I didnt know how much I used sound till I got it.

But being the kinda guy that needs the latest greatest thing, I would love to have the HP 7000 series with lets say 64 bit prosessor and all the upgrades.

Ah 17 inches of screen, I could almost see Tux full size

This unit without the 64 bit prossessor is about $2500.00 with windows preloaded I think it would be great to put it right next to the same model with Linux loaded for about 2 to3 hundred less.

Id also like to linux on the Alienware laptops, preload with all the bells and whistles for gamers.

Edited by Joe Noob

This laptop would be for home use, since I always will have a Wintendo laptop through work, so my important specs would be:

- 15' or 17' inch screen (17' if I can afford it) with at least 1280 resolution.

- Buildt in WiFi (I have a WiFi net at home)

- Good batterytime, possebility to drop floppy and have double batteries.

- A couple of USB2 ports and a firewire.

- Thouchpad and nav-stick (Dell-style) so I can choose what to use if I don't have a mouse connected.

- OK stereospeakers like the new ones from Toshiba Satelite.

I'm not conserned about other specs since I'm not a poweruser on hardware.

EDIT: I'm norwegian so regional keyboard setup is important (we use the letters ÆØÅ a lot...)

Edited by TopDog

Ive cut and past from your post aRTee so it's faster to write :P

But there is some change:

My ideal Linux Laptop:

Small and light,

mid to high end,

Must haves:

14" minimum, XGA (1024x768), x86 (x86-64), 512MBram, 60GB hard disk, cd writer, 2 USB2 ports, long battery life (over 4 hrs for office use, 10/100MB/s LAN, onboard modem. floppy :screwy:, at least one com port :screwy:, one Parrallel port :screwy:, dual boot with FreeDOS :screwy:, Toshiba (there repair workshop is at 10 Km from my work)

Price: less than 1500 Euro.

Edited by roland

Just got An ASUS Laptop with pentium Mobile (centrino)

40G

256MB (I may upgrade soon)

come with XP pro (no choice)

LAN And wirelessLAN (centrino)

Modem

I've installed Mdk 9.2 , which seen to work although I have few pbs:

*If I touch the switch, the laptop switch off the power with no warning...

*the wireless doesn't work yet ( I heard that it is possible to get something but I will wait ...)

*the touch pad doesn't work but as it come with a usb mouse I can still use it..

Spend 1000 cyPounds =around 1500 euro (with router wireless and lan)

I use eclipse with Mdk which work fine

• 1 month later...

My ideal Linux Laptop:

Small (or Medium) and light,

non-legacy,

mid to high end,

Must haves:

around 12", XGA (1024x768), x86 (x86-64), 512MBram, at least 30GB hard disk, at least CD/RW drive, at least 2 USB2 ports, LONG BATTERY LIFE (at least 4-6 hours), 10/100MB/s LAN, WLAN (e.g. PCMCIA card with Linux driver). Soundblaster Audigy. Firewire nice, but certainly not obligatory. 3D card nice, but certainly not obligatory (I'd choose nvidia then). Processor: I'd slightly prefer AMD over Intel.

Working suspend (powersave?) mode.

Oh yeah, and WORKING MULTIMEDIA KEYS!!

A Compaq or a Sony laptop would be nice, although I'd take any brand with more or less these specs that works well!!

Price: 1000 up to ~1500 Euro.

Mine:

Size: large

Style: Non-legacy

Class: high end

Extra features that I need:

110-220V

P4, 512 RAM hdd>=80G

usb web cam

4 usb 2.0 ports

clear sound and speakers (jbl)

modem (maybe pc-mcia)

lan

3D video card

15" display

Battery for 3-4 h

cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd-+rw would be very nice

optical and wireless mouse

2 slots PC-MCIA

Extra features that I would like:

second lan

2-3 years waranty :wall:

Romanian living in Taipei, moving soon to Shanghai

Price should be less then 1700 Euro

Athlon 1.8ghz CPU

17" widescreen format Display

ATI 9000 video card

Full Keyboard with numberpad

802.11g builtin

10/100 ethernet

dvdrom CDRW combo

40+ gig HD

512+ ddr memory

touchpad

no soft buttons

klipsch speeker system

usb 2.0

battery life while watching dvd 2.5 hours

1 db9 serial port (for LX200 telescope control)

~1500 US

Edited by jdion81

Guest KShots

Oops, missed the part where the laptop must have Linux pre-installed. No, it wasn't and I don't see a "delete post" button, so this is here. Honestly not sure why Linux pre-installed is even desirable, but OK... I'd much rather have a machine with absolutely nothing installed.

Edited by KShots

I'm a wuss like SoulSe and think a powerbook (15") sums up everything I'd want and need. Unfortunately they're too expensive so:

Medium to large and light,

non-legacy,

mid to high end,

1.5 Centrino style chip (can't remember their name at the mo)

>= 512MB RAM

>= 40GB HDD (7200 rpm)

15 - 15.4 " display with at least 1280 resolution

ethernet

thats about the bulk of my requirements, anything else is a bonus.

My preferred laptop would be something like this...

a 14 inch screen with 1280 res, the size of the laptop just barely bigger than the screen itself..

no lump or bumps in the design, just clean as in ibm/apple notebooks

medium/high end processor

light

no-legacy

512MB memory

3D card w. at least 32 MB

60-80GB hard drive

4-5 hours battery in office at least 3 watching movies

built-in 802.11b/g and bluetooth

built-in 10/100/1000 network

2-4 USB2 and firewire port

quality soundcard

dvd-rw built-in or in an included docking station

No multimedia buttons needed at all (I've had them for 5 years, and haven't touched them yet..)

under $2000