Downloading RPMs in Mozilla

hugerobot

I probably should post this on mozilla.org somewhere, but I've had so much success using this site that I thought I'd ask this here first:

When I download an rpm file from rpmfind.net or whatever, it always trys to open it in the browser... I have to right click and select 'Save Link Target As...'

I can't find out where to change this behavior anywhere. I am probably just not looking in the right place, and I will kick myself when I get the answer...but its making me nuts that I cant fix it.

So, who wants to be the first person to make me kick myself?! :)

Rob

Well I don't use Mozilla but I did some checking and under Edit, Preferences, Navigator, there's a download tab with three different options. If you've already tried that and it doesn't help then you can kick me. Now how's that for a deal? :wink:

Nope...

I think it has to do with "helper applications" and MIME types and stuff...

but when I look for them, I dont see any defined... In Opera there's a huge list of MIME types, file extensions, and applications to handle them, I dont see that kind of list in Mozilla.

Thanks anyway, now bend over!

Rob

Guest Bigsky30

I havent been able to fix this issue yet, but it seems to have something to do with the netscape/Mozilla Plugger 4.0 Ive seen the RPM extension assigned to "Real Media" in the Konquerer plug-in list. Only problem is I cant figure out how to remove it!

Yes, this is a BIG problem. All those RPM files from sourceforge are NOT working when I tried to download them.

After certain investigation it turns out that RPM stands for BOTH:

1) RedHat Package Manager

2) Real Player Metafile

Hence when you click on a rpm file the Real Player plugin intercepts it and try to start Real Player - only to find that the meta-content does not match and the browser just stalled.

Workaround for the moment

I just remove the Real Player web plugin (rpnp.so, raclass.zip) from the mozilla plugins directory.

Any other workaround suggestions?

Glad to hear I'm not just stupid. Not sure I want to remove the real player plugins tho... Its really not a huge problem, I just have to right click instead of just clicking to save.

One thing is for sure: If Window's had a package manager with an RPM extension, you can bet Real would work around the extension! Little old Linux is getting pushed around again.

Rob

The problem is, that Realplayer has got the format ".rpm" for a special kind of mediastream. That's why he tries to take it instead of "save under".

I'm not sure about the way associations work in phoenix, but perhaps, if you turn this mime off in konqueror, this will do it in phoenix, too?

If not, then deleting real is until now perhaps the only way...

Man let me try it with moz 1.1 first :shock: .

You are RIGHT. Using moz 1.1 has no problem.

Time to file a bug report on 1.2 beta :arrow: .

EDIT: Just filed the 181439th bug :P .

EDIT: Just received email from bugzilla, the bug will be fixed in version 1.2 final. :D

Ok... so my options are now

Shift Key+Left Click, or Right Click and "Save Link Target As..."

Can't I just change the association for RPM from Real Player to "Prompt"?

Then I can choose to save it (99% of the time) or choose to open it with Real Player (1% of the time)

I guess that's the ideal solution for me... I just can't seem to find where to do that.

But so far, I really appreciate all the attention this subject is getting.

Rob