SB Live/Audigy Midi with ALSA mini-how-to (draft)

zero0w

toaderxxix: I see, that could work.

Actually Mandrake 9.1 by default loads OSS as sound driver using 'audigy' module, as many SB Live/Audigy users have experienced.

Eugenia at OS News suggested you can switch between OSS and ALSA driver at Mandrake Control Center (MCC), here's how I did it for my SB Live:

MCC > Hardware > HardDrake List

Click the item under the 'Soundcard' entry.

The info window will display the module name for the soundcard.

You can click on the option: > Runconfig tool > Let me pick any driver

If your soundcard has ALSA support, the module name (for SB Live/Audigy, it is 'snd-emu10k1') should be there on the list. Click on it, change and save the setting.

You should then notice the ALSA module should have started and running in the service/daemon list located by MCC > System > DrakXService list.

If ALSA is successfully started, you need to adjust the mixer setting since the default volume level is zero and no sound can be heard.

You can adjust the volume & mixer settings in _both_ Aumix and Kmix (for KDE, which is what I am using).

btw, there is a useful page for getting tips to configure your SB Live/Audigy under ALSA:

emu10k1

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=emu10k1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it wasn't alsa, it was kmix. In the older versions of mandrake, after you switched from oss to alsa, kmix would not only be muted, but all the mixer sliders would be set to 0 as well. what threw me this time was kmix was muted (after switching), but after unmuting the sliders were all at the top. Plus, there's over 40 different sliders (specifically for live drive and audigy i suspect) so I was confused. (not the first time :wink: ) Anyway, this time I set XMMS playing mp3 and started throwing sliders and what do you know, it started working. I'm happy now, I have midi, PLUS I got my midisport1x1 usb midi hub working (also alsa drivers) so I can use it in tandem with my yamaha mu10 tone generator. Still I'm a bit embarrassed I missed that problem the first dozen times or so. Anyway, that edit to /etc/profiles works like a champ. I used it before and it's working now as well.

zero0w:

btw, I don't agree leeching unowned MP3 music  on any kind of P2P network, but it is obviously for another topic (if you want to discuss it please start a new thread in off-topic forum). Anyhow.

It's the sort of thing that I really think isn't going to add any value to the linux cause and existance (as you smartly defined).

Again, thanks for giving me the oportunity to listem my cd's collection. Sorry if I was polemical ....

All the best.

At the request of Zero0W, I split this thread so that the Extigy discussion with Alsa is moved to a new thread at hardware section. http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=38047#38047

We now return to your regularly scheduled tips and tricks with alsa, midi and Audigy.

• 1 month later...