What desktop to choice

NecroScumBag

Since most of you know. I am new to linux. Well I have already installed and have MDK 9.2 working on my system. But after read through the forum to get a grip on everything in the new world. I was wondering which is better KDE or Gnome. First question I have is. Is there better programs for one then the other. Or is there better support or help need for one or the other. I was reading through the Art and Design forum and see what people post for there screen shoots for the desktop! WOW, Now this is something I want to do. But some people running KDE. Gnome or something call flux. Thanks in advance for replaying.

Necro

My personal opinion: Neither. Window Maker or IceWM...IceWM is better if you like the taskbar thingy on the bottom of the screen...I like Window Maker best myself...it takes some getting used to though...but I guess when you can't run anything else because your comp is a 4 year old POS, you get used to it quick :P

If you wanna use either KDE or Gnome, go for Gnome...As far as I know, programs will work with either...but if they don't for some reason, you can always switch for that prog...Like me...I log into Window Maker, but if I need a prog and don't know the name of it, or if there even is a prog for that, I go to IceWM for the menu...then switch back when I'm done

Edited by Urza9814

Use both...use all...find out what you like. Gtk apps work in KDE, qt apps work in Gnome, apps....well, work. De/wm doesn't matter. Better? There's is no right or wrong answer.....which is better Ford or Chevy? Well, Chevy of course...OH! , I mean it's up to the individual to decide. Most of all, have fun finding out for yourself!

[edited for spelling :woops: ]

Edited by bvc

kde is a sort of "windows" familiar desktop, as is gnome. If you start with one of those, you can graduate to a desktop that is sort of like making your own program, like any of the *box environments!

I 2nd what bvc said. Use them all and figure out which one you like the best. There are many window managers. I myself prefer Fluxbox because it's very fast, looks cool, doesn't look like windows, and very stable. Other people prefer blackbox even though it looks the same. Sometimes I boot into KDE just for a change and for the eye candy. I've also tried Windows Maker which was really cool, then Gnome, then Enligntenment and who knows what else, but settled on the first two.

I run MDK with KDE on my desktop and Fedora with Gnome on my laptop. I must say I prefer KDE, can't really explain excatly why, I just feel more at home.

On my laptop I've installed Fluxbox (because it's a very low spec machine), but haven't gotten it quite to work.... I may have to start a new thread on that soon.

At some point gnome changed in a way that I didn't like -- in the sense that it wouldn't allow me to set it up the way I wanted, so I switched to kde (I have my reasons listed on my site).

It may be that the new gnome can now once more do what I want, but I don't care so much, it's just the DE.

My apps are more important, but even those I can switch -- opera to firefox, evolution to kmail, bluefish to quanta, and the other way around.

BTW the new quanta rocks, bigtime...

Just give them a try; on systems with less resources, you may want to go for clean empty wm's -- blackbox, icewm, but otherwise, just see how they perform/work for you.

• 1 month later...

AFAIK, if you installed Gnome and KDE when you installed Mandrake, you shouldn't need to do anything more. Have you got it set up to automatically log you in? If so, you can either switch off autologin (MCC > Boot > Boot Config) or just let it log you in and log out all the time.

Then you should get your login screen, so bang in your user name and password, and then select Gnome, KDE, WM or whatever you want from the dropdown box below, and click OK/ Login -- I can't remember what it is, I just click it...

HTH

Alex

[EDIT - Sorry, I wrote Users before, but I tried it myself and found it's actually under Boot > Boot Config.]

Edited by alexpank

Since most of you know. I am new to linux. Well I have already installed and have MDK 9.2 working on my system. But after read through the forum to get a grip on everything in the new world. I was wondering which is better KDE or Gnome. First question I have is. Is there better programs for one then the other. Or is there better support or help need for one or the other. I was reading through the Art and Design forum and see what people post for there screen shoots for the desktop! WOW, Now this is something I want to do. But some people running KDE. Gnome or something call flux. Thanks in advance for replaying.

Necro

Well, it's more a question of personal preference and of what you want to do with your system. None is really better than the other, they're just different.

Since your new to this, the best is to try them for yourself and see which one is the best fit for your needs. After that, you just work with the one YOU like best, no matter what other peoples may say or think.

I writed an article on this topics a few months ago: Choosing a GUI. A bit outdated on the technical side but the basic principles are still valid.

Personally, I would go with Gnome and fluxbox. Gnome and gdesklets really do put to shame KDE and SuperKaramba. I typically use fluxbox though because it *just works* Little to no overhead, quick and simple. Anyway, use what you feel comforitable with.

Like ShadowFoxLSU, I bounce between fluxbox and GNOME. Mostly in GNOME right now because I am still a new Linux convert and it's easy to use without reminding me too much of Windows (still a little bitter), but as I get used to Linux a little more, I'll probably migrate to fluxbox. Might stay with GNOME a little longer if I could get that dang Gdesklets to work right :wall: :D

Why hasnt Mandrake started packaging Fluxbox with its distro? It's included blackbox for as long as I can remember.

Anyway. As my main desktop I prefer Gnome. To me it just seems faster, more polished and more professional. I also like XFce and Flux.