./configure --with-x

Well, bvd, I think tyme understood my question. The example programs I mentionned will always use X, so how come you have the option to configure them to use (or not) X? I mean, it's kind of redundant, IMHO. It should always be on, but some apps that run under X seem not to need it... :unsure:

So that's what I was asknig: do you set that option on or not? Is ist set on or off by default?

So, replying rto tyme: how do I know what programs will need that option? If I compile them without it and it doesn't work? That seems kind of lame, and a general waste of time. And if you compile it in on every package you compile, will it make the final code bigger or something?...

Yes, I'm being lazy, I could test all of that myself, but then, what would you gurus be useful for? :cheesy:

it actually makes perfect sense.

If glibc and gcc+ and all the rest kept in memory (code) the defaults (obvious) for all or even the major apps you'd add a lot more ever changing code and several 100 mb to them. Wanna have to unnecessarily download that update? Wanna have to devel that code when 90% of users don't even want or use it? As tyme said....if it's an app for X.....it's already there, so there's no need to worry about it.

Edited by bvc

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't know what the options are for just leave them alone (or read the documentation). This is just so programmers don't have to re-invent the wheel to find where your distro keeps everything and if you have the pre-requisites for installation.