Quake3: Linux vs Windows

sud_crow

Hi,

Im looking for a comparison beatween Linux and Windows in Quake3, i need one thats more or less current, i saw one a while ago, but i couldnt find it...

Thanks in advance!

(Actually, it doesnt have to be Quake3, but an OpenGL comparison with any game or benchmark... :))

Well.. if you browse the bioware Neverwinter Nights forum, the consensus is that the linux version is faster on the same hardware, resolution, etc. The only thing missing from the windows version is the movies.

And then.. there is this link

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video_winvslin/

Hi, thanks for the aswers....

i forgot to say why i needed it, i want to have real numbers to show to ppl who dont know how good Linux is for gaming... so i was thinking in some numbers as benchmarks and such would show how the things are here and there...

Im getting to the conclusion i'll have to do it my self, also im thinking in doing some reviews of games working in WineX and that kind of stuff...

Anyway, if i do it, i might post something here just in case someone wants to have a look at it...

I wish I could help, but I no longer have Windows installed. I can do benchmarks for Diablo II running under WineX and for NWN running under Linux if you want/need, but you have to tell me what numbers you need and point me in the right direction for obtaining those numbers. ;)

Well if you need hard numbers, I guess you should produce benchmark yourself.

However as a serious player, I can tell you that there isn't much difference once in the game: Q3 is Q3 on MacOS9, Linux or Windows, and fps is roughly the same, give or take one or two, using a rather low-end system (GF2 here). Other gamers that I know and who were recently introduced to Linux gaming swear it is smoother and get more FPS, but I personnaly think it's placebo :D

Hi,

Hey Steve, i would love to see some NWN numbers, as i love that game, but dont own it, so cant play it here to test it. Also some Diablo 2 wouldnt hurt :)

Neutro i think that too, but im aware that OpenGL works better in Linux than in Windows, and thats a good hook to get a few gamers in the game :)

Well.. if you browse the bioware Neverwinter Nights forum, the consensus is that the linux version is faster on the same hardware, resolution, etc. The only thing missing from the windows version is the movies.

No way. Read a little further. Neverwinter Nights performs shockingly on Linux with few people getting more then 18 fps (I get 11 and I've done everything imaginable).

I get about 90 fps in Quake 3 where as Windows gives roughly 150 on the same hardware.

What is important to mention, however, is that fps isn't the only factor to consider in perofrmance. So what if the framrate is higher? How does the game engine run under Linux? How long does it take to load? How stable is it? Does it freeze?

FPS is just one of the questions. Nobody is going to notice the difference between Quake3 running at 60 fps or 200 fps - although on lower-end systems it might be a bit smoother.

As shockingly as NWN runs on my machine, it doesn't freeze, is pretty smooth and loads quickly. I honestly don't even notice the 11fps framerate. I do, however, have to cut down on shadows, dynamic lights, etc.

No way. Read a little further. Neverwinter Nights performs shockingly on Linux with few people getting more then 18 fps (I get 11 and I've done everything imaginable).

I get about 90 fps in Quake 3 where as Windows gives roughly 150 on the same hardware.

What is important to mention, however, is that fps isn't the only factor to consider in perofrmance. So what if the framrate is higher? How does the game engine run under Linux? How long does it take to load? How stable is it? Does it freeze?

FPS is just one of the questions. Nobody is going to notice the difference between Quake3 running at 60 fps or 200 fps - although on lower-end systems it might be a bit smoother.

As shockingly as NWN runs on my machine, it doesn't freeze, is pretty smooth and loads quickly. I honestly don't even notice the 11fps framerate. I do, however, have to cut down on shadows, dynamic lights, etc.

I usually get from 40 - 80 fps for NWN at 1152 X 864 res 24bit on a amd 1800xp, geforce 4 ti4200 128mb, & 1gig pc2700 ram.

I don't know what is up with your setup that you would get such low fps.

I have a 2500xp, with a gf fx 5600 that i barely use in another room, main reason being that i have no problem playing games on the 1800xp (might change with ut2004, definately will when doom3 come out).

Edited by johnnyv

Checkout the forums on Bioware or ask some of the other NWN players on this board, my performance is pretty normal and there is not even the remotest chance of my setup being wrong.

There are so many problems with NWN and this is not the place to get into them, but the most important problem with my specific setup is that the Nvidia drivers are a little lacking in proper utilisation of some of their cards. The tis are great and that is probably why your performance is so good (you could probably get it even better).

The only way I could improve my performance is by buying a graphics board with better support.

It is recommended to run Quake3 in 16 bit color on Linux.

If I run it in 16 bit color on Linux I get about 180 fps and on Windows with 16 bit color I get about 150 fps.

In 32 bit color on Windows I get about 145 fps... on Linux I get about 125 fps.

Please don't compare games with WineX or even bother telling people about WineX because WineX encourages game developers NOT to develop native Linux games. Also, if WineX keeps getting better and more popular, it will end up throwing a compatibility monkeywrench issue into the pot. Game developers can claim their games run on Linux using WineX and then when you have problems they will just shrug their shoulders and say "It worked fine on WineX when we shipped it, take your problem to them."

Dr. Ephemeron,

Hi,

Thanks for the tips on Quake3

About WineX, well yes, but theres is also the other point of view, that i share too, and that is this:

1- Native Linux games are more or less dead at the moment, there is only one developer porting games and that is icculus.org, and from time to time, LGP also has a good game ported.

2- Most people i want to show this numbers and stuff, are windows people, and people who dont know (and dont want to know) what a how-to is, or if their "C:" now is called "hda", i mean by this that i want to show them that the possibility of Linux running games is real, and that can bring them to use Linux, which eventually would lead them to use Native Games as they appear.

This is the point, if they dont use WineX, they wont use Linux, then, there is not even partial benefit. Instead if we can get them to use Linux, then we _might_ get them to support native games.

Now, dont think i dont share your view, because i do, but is a matter of making Linux "vox-populi" and showing that is as good or better than windows for everything.

Just for the record: there's a huge difference between 60 and 200 fps in Q3 ;)

This is not just cosmetic since when you play online, the underlying physics engine is updated at the same rate as the framerate. Thus, 60 FPS will be perceived as a supplementary lag of 1/60 sec (17 ms). Also, it is well known in the Q3 community that if you lock your framerate at 125 FPS, you get maximum velocity and altitude when you jump, as you'll get a physics model sampling point at the apogea of the precomputed ballistic trajectory.