3D Gaming with nvidia - broken

Guest Adriano

Guest Adriano

I'm having trouble with 3d gaming. Since yesterday (when I did some serious ****up of fstab but managed to come out relatively unscathed) Enemy Territory, Warcraft 3, and RTCW have stopped working for my user. However, they run if I login as root (but not if I

su[code] from a user console). I can run glxgears as my user, and no errors are displayed when I checked .xsession-errors.

The symptoms: When the level of each game starts loading, the game starts to wildly access the disk (paging?). In warcraft's case, I could see from a console that numerous processes with the same name had spawned (wine /usr/local/...). With wolfsp and et this doesn't happen, but the games start paging and if I kill them or wait until they die, the mouse is frozen.

I even tried running wolfsp with the sound disabled, to rule that variable out. same result.

I am now downloading the newest kernel (not that I should change it because of this) and will try reinstalling the driver (as I must if I want the new kernel to see any 3D).

Any pointers?

Guest Adriano

Awright, here's the situation so far:

- I deleted my ET and Wolf profiles, and they are working again.

- I still have the same problem with Warcraft, partly because I do not know what to erase and what not to. Methinks a fresh install would solve this, but it goes against my linuxy nature.

- Yes, it is a problem with my user. Everybody else can use the games as usual... GRR. :wall::furious3:

-"El pollo diablo" is taken from "The Curse of Monkey Island", the 3rd game in the Monkey Island series. Very funny indeed :)

- I'll try again with warcraft, this time with a bit more detail. I hope to be able to change the subtitle of this thread to "FIXED" by the next time I post here. Still, I'd like to know what the hell was going on here (no offense to anyone).