10 RC1 install problems

knowfear

:wall:

So, first I spent hours figuring out that I have to pass noapic to the kernel or else my install won't even get past the first stage, then I need to chose the 'expert' install option because the generic install option does not recognize my USB mouse

Now, the installation will not recognize my second harddisk controller even thoguh I pass the ide2= and ide3= parameters (which recognized the drives in beta2, btw) so I can't install on my drive!

While I am able to install on my harddrive with the ide2/ide3= parameters on cooker snapshot 2, I get many more problems down the road that I haven't been able to overcome, including:

devfs lost all my drive information on reboot, and to reinstall with devfs=nomount to fix

network did not work

kde did not install even though it was selected during the installation

can someone help! :help:

Network setup is not really working, after installation and reboot, the GUI in mcc (drakconnect?) says it has to restart but doesn't really.

service network restart

as root did it for me; and I handed in the bugreport too, it should be solved. Your other problems, I don't know...

If you want 'stable' the 9.1 is the way to go. They seem to have finished issuing everything except security patches.

9.2 is getting pretty stable I guess, I havn't really tried it.

10.anything is strictly bug testing ...

As is noted every 6 months, the RC is some sort of bad joke for release candidate.... in theory it get stabler but they also try and iron out anything that they don't think they can fix in time and rollback to older versions, often with well the results you got.

Unless you think you need something specific in 10.x then its best to wait if you expect it to run without a lot of hacking!!

Well you can mix and match a bit....

If you install say 9.2 and add the contribs sources you can still try the latest bleeding edge apps .....

Unless you need the 2.6 kernel specifically then you aren't gaining much and making your learning of mandrake a lot tougher.

Do a search on easyurpmi for a start. ....(all one word)

its chellenging enough someties for seasoned mandrakers .....

(p.s. it just worked fine on mine but .. thats life, I have 2 other macines I would lay money i get similar probs to you.... )