writing a book?

T1TAN

hi,

I was wondering.. if I somehow decide I want to write a book about linux, based on my experience with mandrake, would i break any copylefts, -rights, GPLs, etc... The book would merely introduce linux to windoze users and try to break the prejudice of linux being VERY hard..

t1

Hi,

I do not know about GPL, but for publications, it seems the 'Creative Commons License' is often used. You can find more information on it here:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/1.0/

As for other licenses, there will probably be a link to the home page for that or else you can search for it e.g. via google.

I think it will mostly come down to the clauses also present in the Creative Commons license:

- you have to give credit

- you cannot put it to commercial use.

Guest Adriano

Of course, this applies if you are _copying_ straight from mandrake's documentation. If you write from your _experience_, you can publish under any license/form you like. It is nicer if you give back, but it's your choice.

I think the FDL is used more than the creative common license, at least in GPL circles, such as linux and all...

Basically, many websites (including mine) have (most of) their contents under FDL, which means you can copy all or part as long as you indicate where you found the info (usually a link to the respective website).