Wal-Mart ----------> mdk 9.0 ??

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Hi -

I bought my 8.1 Standard Edition at W-M about a year ago. I was wondering if W-M would be selling the 9.0 package too. What will the lag time be for retailers getting the boxes now that Mandrake has started selling them from their website? (Amazon still lists 8.2 for sale, but not 9.0).

I actually may want to buy the Power Pack anyway, so maybe I should just get it now from the mandrake website...? It's just that someone else mentioned in another post that ordering from the mandrake website took several weeks for him to receive his package.

thank you

I checked the Wal Mart web site and they don't show it yet. I bought 8.1 at Best Buy. I just checked and they're already carrying the 9.0 Power pack. http://www.bestbuy.com/software/Detail.asp...1023&e=11186260

As far as ordering it from Mandrake I've read similar complaints about it taking several weeks to receive it.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

thanks mystified !! I hope the BestBuy retail stores will have 9.0, and not just their website. I have the biggest & best local BB right down the street from me here in my city.

I was there about a week ago looking at OS's - They had all of the windoze of course, and also RH & Suse. But no mdk, not even 8.2. I'll check again in the store, and if no go, then I'll order it from their website.

Thanks again

Doubtful if that happens, especially with Walmart announce that it will release the 200 dollar computer with lycoris desktop instead of lindows.

Personally I prefer lycoris to lindows anyway.. but what happened to mandrake in walmart computer.. I guess people just don't want server software mostly.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

A year ago I didn't know what the hell linux was. Well, I was walking around my local Wal Mart last December, and saw Mandrake Linux 8.1 sitting on the software shelf. So I looked the box over and said hmmm... think I'll check it out. Now I love linux and its all because of Wal Mart...

I also have a CompUSA here locally, but their website only lists Red Hat & Suse.

I can understand retailers selling Red Hat, but why the hell do they all have Suse but not Mandrake. I thought Mandrake was alot bigger and more popular than suse... Best Buy stores here also have RH & Suse on the shelves but not mandrake.

The only major retailer still carrying any Linux here is London Drugs and Future Shop. LD carries Mdk and RH, FS carries SuSe (French only) and Mdk 7.x.

A manager at Staples/Office Depot told me they were told by M$, "Dump Linux or we dump you!". Staples complied.

Wal-Mart Canada dumped all computer stuff years ago :(

Guest mywebforums.com

Quite honestly, Mandrake is the only reasonably priced Distro out now a days. Mandrake retails for the personal package at Staples for $39.95CDN.

RedHat retails for $69.99CDN and SuSe retails for an amazing $89.95 FOR THE PERSONAL EDITION!

I love Mandrake and that's why I continue to support them and only them. Has been running my business successfully for over 3 years with no problems whatsoever. We have one Mandrake 7.2 Server that has not been rebooted for over a year on a Compaq Prosignia 500 P90...

" I can understand retailers selling Red Hat, but why the hell do they all have Suse but not Mandrake. I thought Mandrake was alot bigger and more popular than suse... Best Buy stores here also have RH & Suse on the shelves but not mandrake."

Mandrake is popular among us home users, those business users lean in favor of Red Hat and SuSE. SuSE built its reputation on outstanding support.