Mandrake "Install software" problem (Beta2 10)

Huerzo

OK, I want to know is a following "problem" a feature or a real bug:

I'm having Mandrake 10 Beta2, installed from 3 CD:s.

If you'd like to reproduce a problem, please do following

-Run "Install Software" (that program with a green plus icon)

-For example choose "OpenOffice" to be installed

-Now you should be asked to put Installation CD2 into a CD ROM-drive

-OK, I rejected this because I didn't have those CD's nearby at a moment -> I wanted to install program via internet

-Then I removed CDROM's as installation medias from Media Manager, so only way to install programs would be via internet

-I ran again "Install Software" and searched from "OpenOffice", but none was found. Weird, but I checked also "Remove Software" and OpenOffice wasn't installed!

-Now I tried to install Abiword, but it complained "Sorry, but following packets can't be chosen" - abiword-2.0.0.-1mdk.i586 (because of libgnomecanvas-2.so.0) (I'm having a finnish translation, so maybe english labels are different than my translations)

So what's the problem? Or is there any?

Hello,

Do you have sources set-up for Internet installs? If not that explains of course why you cannot install OpenOffice.

The Abiword thing seems a dependency problem to me. It would be good to file a bug report on that one (normally installdrake, or what is it called, should take care of that automatically).

Ciao,

Sitor

One the openoffice, it's because there is no newer pkg. So nothing shows up because the latest is intalled.

Abiword? Not sure....could be a few things. Have you tried to uninstall libgnomecanvas, then install abiword? What are libgnomecanvas's dependencies that would prevent this? You could uninstall all of gnome and reinstall from the internet to get all new pkgs.

Both Sitor and bvc, thanks for fast replies. Maybe I was inaccurate to describe a problem...

Sitor:

Yes, I have a internet download source "ftp://ftp.song.fi/pub/linux/Mandrake/current/contrib/i586" in my "Media manager". I took Abiword just as a example that cancelling OpenOffice installation from CD2 messed somehow my system - or at least installation system...In fact about 2/5 of programs I tried to install via "Install Software" complains that "Sorry, following..."-thing.

bvc: I don't have OpenOffice installed and I haven't before even tried to install it. It just seems that system considers that OO (or at least dependencies) is installed, because OpenOffice isn't anymore available in "Install Software".

Just now I can't install (via "Install Software") anything... :furious3:...correction, OK I can install some smaller programs (maybe it's because they aren't requiring many dependencies...)

Edited by Huerzo

The equivalent for the 3 download cd's is 'main' not contrib. Add that as a repository, and you can install OOo no doubt.

So the first matter is user error.

I'm guessing that the same is at the base of your abiword non-working install.

Why would you want to disable installing from the download discs and install from the web instead?

You will get the exact same version. Except if there is an update, which you can still get even if you have the 3 download discs, because they will be in the 'update' repository.

Kicking out the 3 download cds is not useful. What is, is using the iso images or rpm folders from your harddrive; check my website for instructions, configuration page.

It's for Mdk9.2 but I'm using the same method for 10beta2 right now, and will also do that for rc1 once it finishes downloading...

not true aRTee. There's a lot of upgrades from beta2. I just got 600MB worth last night. Oh, and I don't have any cdrom sources either...why would I want them if I always want to be cutting edge/updated? I do a minimal install w/ cd1 beta2 and urpmi the rest.

Edited by bvc

aRtee: The reason why I disabled CDROM's was that I didn't have those installation disks nearby at the moment (-> 1. post). I thought it would all the same is the "source" internet or cdrom. But if it's not, then the user (me) must be guilty :D .

Like bvc, I also would like to use only internet and be "on edge". Another thing is, that a lazy guy like me hates "change disk 1, then 2 maybe 3" orders...I know, I'm spoiled...

I wanted to tell this problem to this forum to hear does somebody else have a sane kind of problem, or is this just those random errors softwares are so keen to produce sometimes. Now RC1 seems to be available, so I backup my user dir to cdrom and start the whole thing from the scratch. But I try to reproduce that error again - and make these betas and RC's more reliable...

Ok, bvc, guess I didn't think about cooker getting updated. (Used to running only finals.)

But still, you have more sources than the topic starter, which would explain things.

Huerzo, if you don't want to get the discs and put them in each time you urpmi something, just do the trick I mentioned before. Also, that way you have the iso's on your harddrive, which is nice in case someone wants a copy... :D

Can any-one of you tell where can I download Mandrake 10 beta version.

I`ll be very thankful and for your big help.

Mandrake-user

spinynorman

That was very fast and thank you for your time

Mandrake-User