MDK-10-RC-1

Guest anon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks for the link Aru .. not even on mandrakelinux.com yet !

I'm downloading it right now .. avg rate of 400 KB/s .. should be done in 1:15

:thumbs:

MOttS

That would be anon, not Aru :D

Its interesting that the MDK have not released it first in Bittorrent form first this time. My guess is that to many people still have problems with bittorrent.

Roland, just have a quick look if the rc1 has the same problems, then report!

I hope they managed to fix the network setup problems I had, and naturally the usb / mouse problem (no usb during install).

edit:

They just posted this on the club site, here's the bittorrent link:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/torrent/Mandrak...0.0-rc1.torrent

On XFree the club site has another thing, not cool:

The Mandrake Linux 10.0 Release Candidate 1 has seen the XFree86 version reverted from 4.4rc to 4.3.

One important reason is a schedule one, because the official XFree86 4.4 release schedule does not match the 10.0 one, and we would not like to ship a non final version of XFree86.

Moreover right now the new XFree86 1.1 license applicable to the 4.4 release is non GPL-compatible, and prevent us from integrating it.

We know that it was not in the XFree86 team intention to prevent linux or BSD distributions from including new 4.4 version. They only want credits for their work, which they deserve.

We are looking forward to finding a solution for this embarassing situation, and are confident and open to the XFree86 developpers team for sorting this problem out.

edit 2:

On the xfree front:

La nouvelle vient de tomber sur la liste de diffusion de Cooker. Warly vient d'annoncer : "Pas de XFree 4.4 pour Mandrake 10rc1 pour cause de changement de licence. On revient à la version 4.3".

En effet la nouvelle licence n'est plus compatible avec la GPL. Richard Stallman l'a confirmé. Une des conséquences de la nouvelle licence serait, par exemple, l'obligation pour Mandrake d'acheter des licences commerciales Qt !

Une solution provisoire consisterait à utiliser la dernière version compatible avec la GPL.

Mandrake n'est pas la seule distribution dans ce cas. La solution qui se dessine est de supporter freedesktop. La scission de XFree semble consommée. La branche "historique" semble s'être sabordée et il y a fort à parier qu'on reparlera très vite de son successeur.

Ceci est confirmé par le courrier de Mike A. Harris de Red Hat

Short translation: the new license is not GPL (confirmed by Stallman) which means that they would for instance have to get QT licenses...

Slashdot discussion:

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/...tid=185&tid=187

Edited by aRTee

Using bittorrent as we speak, had to go home for lunch since my wife is ill and needed some groceries.

BTW remember, if you leave bittorrent open so that it uploads the same final quantity as it downloads, you gave back as much as you took!

You're supporting the system if you upload more, and 'leeching' if you upload less... :P

Can someone do me a favour, please?

If you have installed rc 1 (with the reverted xfree 4.3), can you add kaffeine 0.4.1-3.mkd (on the contrib cooker mirror, and it needs xine from the cd, and kde, it's a kde media-player) to your install, start it, and close it. Does it crash, short after closing it?

There was/is (?) a kaffeine-problem in MDK 10/cooker that could not get solved yet, probably with xfree 4.4. - Can you post the result here so that I can email the developper.

At the moment I am doing tests for the Beta Cooker - but still no sucess.

Thank you!

Just installed rc-1 and what a mess!!! Errors too numerous to mention on reboot. Can't get to a gui, network fails to start, trouble with vfat partitions,can't configure a working X with XFdrake and it's using a 2.4 kernel. Beta2 was a dream compared to this beast; k3b even worked w/o scsi emulation. Anyone else having trouble. It seems they completely reworked the entire release. This does not bode well for mdk10.

pmpatrick, just came across this:

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/article.php?sid=1703

by agendelman on Tuesday, February 17 @ 22:07:03 CET

(User Info | Send a Message)

2.6 won't install? Pressed F1 at 1st install screen and tried alt0 and alt1 to try another kernel. Both times I got the message "could not uncompress 2nd stage ramdisk...probably a hardware error while reading data (hardware failure or Linux Kernel bug)".

I rebooted with MDK10.0 Beta 2 and everything worked fine. I'm currently using both 9.2 and 10.0 beta2

with the 2.6 pre kernel. I guess I'll just have to wait for a fix. Any ideas

[ Reply to This |  ]

Re: MDK10.0 rc1 boot problem (Score: 1)

by Aimak on Tuesday, February 17 @ 23:49:35 CET

Why dont you try to post that as a bug Bugzilla

and Testzilla?

Then you may get the attention you deserve ;-)

[ Reply to This |  ]

by agendelman on Wednesday, February 18 @ 00:54:10 CET

I did, shortly after I posted here(see bug 7960). I think they're aware of problems with the kernel. This one has a new twist. Typing "alt 1" at the boot promt is supposed to boot a 2.4 version of the kernel if the 2.6 ver doesn't load. It didn't work in my case. Just wondering if others are having problems with rc1. Looking forward to a fix.

[ Reply to This |  ]

by agendelman on Wednesday, February 18 @ 09:22:14 CET

Problem solved. I initially downloaded with a torrent stream and burned the isos at 36x. I downloaded the isos again, this time from a mirror and reduced the burn speed to 24x. Booted into rc1 with no problem. uname -r shows the kernel:2.6.2-3mdk.

Set up sites for cooker main, contrib, and plf. There are already updates for rc1. Forget about an update source in mcc. No go. At the command line, as root: urpmi urpmi, then urpmi.update -a, and finally urpmi --auto-select, and a ton of stuff downloads. Kde libs, mozilla 1.6, and totem (totem didn't

work at first but with the download, it now works fine.

are your checksums of your discs ok ?

I had so many problems, I thought it might be a bad burn so I checked. I didn't use bittoreent for the download. Here's the published md5sums:

c67e293b74a5d2796f2d9fea9d3d716c MandrakeLinux-10.0-rc1-CD1.i586.iso

f9a5e9bd8aaea5ffdb08ad483f1599dd MandrakeLinux-10.0-rc1-CD2.i586.iso

fef8934116ab144be0de8b0040bc72c1 MandrakeLinux-10.0-rc1-CD3.i586.iso

Here's the md5sums of the isos:

[patrick@localhost rawread]$ ./rawread /dev/hda | md5sum

dd if=/dev/hda bs=2048 count=332433 conv=notrunc,noerror

332433+0 records in

332433+0 records out

c67e293b74a5d2796f2d9fea9d3d716c -

dd if=/dev/hda bs=2048 count=332785 conv=notrunc,noerror

332785+0 records in

332785+0 records out

f9a5e9bd8aaea5ffdb08ad483f1599dd -

dd if=/dev/hda bs=2048 count=331053 conv=notrunc,noerror

331053+0 records in

331053+0 records out

fef8934116ab144be0de8b0040bc72c1 -

In short, the cds all check out OK. It could be do to read errors during the install which is probably the only explanation if no one else is having problems but I tend to doubt it since the "dd" command is generally more sensitive to read problems and that's what I used to verify the cd md5sums. Also, I got no errors during the installation of packages which I would expect if there was a problem reading the cd.

Edit: Reinstalled and carefully watched the package installation. Both the 2.6 and 2.4 kernels were installed. I used the floppy option on the bootlader section. Afterwards, the install program sent me back to the original install screen with the language selection section which also happened in beta2. On reboot with the floppy I noticed that there was a separate boot option for "2623" which I selected and it booted into the 2.6 kernel. Selecting "linux" booted me into the 2.4 kernel with numerous errors like before. Still couldn't get X to work with either kernel. Kept getting this error:

libXfont.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

It may be just a problem with the floppy boot loader selection as the install does not seem to completely finish.

Edited by pmpatrick