Besides Mandrake, what is your favorite distro?

Ixthusdan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cyber, there are those who might read this thread, and not understand what "simplicity" you are talking about. They might not even understand what an rpm vs source tarball distro is! So, could you explicitly say why you like slackware???? B)

VECTOR Linux (http://www.vectorlinux.com)

1) It's SIMPLE to set up

2) it's FAST

3) it's Slackware, so there is a lot of documentation for it available

4) it's FAST

5) it has a great community - very friendly, very helpful

6) it's FAST

7) designed to run well on older hardware so I don't *NEED* to have the fastest and best

8) it's FAST

and hmm....

...did I mention that it's FAST?

...did I mention that it's FAST?

Hmm... I don't think so. Maybe you should edit your post and explicitly mention it...

:unsure:

BTW I installed it too once, and it *IS* pretty cool... very nice for older PC's. Although I found the menus too crowded.

Edited by Darkelve

re: the nforce motherboard

the new 2.6 kernel has the reverse engineered driver for eth0, a driver for nvidia AGPgart plus sound is supported as it always was (i think).

edit: oh yeah, my experiences

it all works fine in 2.6.3 if that helps.

networking, zero problems, sound is beautiful.

graphics, now thats another story, but possibly caused by my radeon 9700pro. I have got it working though, been playing ut2k4 and enemy territory. If i can get it working with a 9700pro (really evil card for linux) then most things should be possible.

Edited by fissy

re: the nforce motherboard

the new 2.6 kernel has the reverse engineered driver for eth0, a driver for nvidia AGPgart plus sound is supported as it always was (i think).

Somehow, that sounds really reassuring (I've got an nforce chipset too...)

For fun I've been fooling around with a little OS called menuet. It's an assembler based OS and under the GPL. The thing fits on one floppy and boots into a gui. It's pretty primitive but a lot of fun. You can download here:

http://www.menuetos.org/download.htm

and there's a forum here:

http://board.flatassembler.net/viewforum.p...e722d7d6e217ce3

cyber, there are those who might read this thread, and not understand what "simplicity" you are talking about. They might not even understand what an rpm vs source tarball distro is! So, could you explicitly say why you like slackware???? B)

:oops:

It's FAST, Stable, upgrades are easy, compiling software is easy. Package handling is easy. Good documentation in config files. No rpm problems ;-)

I do like Fedora too, nice setup, backed by a strong Linux Company that gives back a lot to the community. Just hopeing between yum or apt, version updates will be easy??? We will see, we will see. Rpm version updates normally look like this :wall::angry::furious3::help::oops::end:

Oh, another thing on Fedora/RedHat people don't talk much about is the gui-tools. Mandrake & Suse pretty much have everyone beat on being able to make Linux easier to manipulate from gui-tools. BUT, what RH has for those "redhat-config-<tab>" tools is simple to understand, very clean and easy interface to use. To me, SuSE and MDK have overloaded there tools enough to sometimes confuse a seasoned linux veteran to wonder why there is so much bloat, garbage tied into them. They are pretty and work (most of the time) but I guess I just like things a little more simple to read through.

:P