Besides Mandrake, what is your favorite distro?

Ixthusdan

I like my little shuttle....

Its pretty :D

The laptop, well was just cheap!!! Im not particualrly attached to it....

The thing with the shuttle is if I disable the onboard NIC it more or less works.... but I only have one PCI slot and thats for the wireless GROAN

Actually, the point Im trying to make is all of this works with knoppix so theres really no reason it shouldn't in Mandrake.

Actually, its amazing it works in knoppix which is just one guy....

Then you look at that statement and think, hey the reason it works in knoppix is becuase it works in Debian. Klaus can't possibly have tested all that hardware himself!!!

The prob with Mandy is some bugs have been there since day 1 and mentionig them is boring....

Try sending a bug report on supermount and see how far you get with a response....

These things will never work in Mandrake becuase its become an internal political issue.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....

Just being curious I tried mandrake move!!

Initially I tried a vmware session so save reboot... no joy (although knoppix works fine as a live Cd via vmware)

Then i rebooted and tried a proper try....

Still no joy, just hangs on detecting hardware!

I bet its booting with acpi on..... so theoretically I can pass the options at boot. But thats pointless... the reason I guess this is that every mandrake install CD since 8.2 has. This is really the problem with Mandrake. Even though their install CD fails in 25% of cases they never ever change the default options....

So much for the shuttle mandrake partnership. Noone else noticed, its ONLY one model and its the Intel one without the nforce2 chipset.

That's it review over..... If its a live CD I have no intention of playing with it everytime and passing the noacpi stuff everytime ....

It just lost and became a coaster, its of no value to me becuase it has no use as a live CD.

If I use it at home and work I will end up passing a whole list of crap to get it to boot, if I go to a friends house and want to fire up same thing!!! I can't rely on it actually booting so its useless.

Ive yet to find a PC I can't boot knoppix on....

The only thing I need is the nvnet.o and a broadcom gigabit one on my USB key.

i use mandrake on my laptop and gentoo on my desktop.

Gowater, i have an nforce shuttle pc too, an absolute nightmare. I'm trying to get DRI to work atm, but to compound the problems of Nvidia's stupid AGPgart, i have a Radeon 9700pro, Linux's worst enemy!

I have pretty much the fastest processor (2400+) and graphics card around, but still can't play games :(

fissy: Nvidia's AGPgart? hm...I didn't think nvidia did the AGPgart...besides, if you have a radeon card, you shouldn't be using anything nvidia...

as anyone who knows me knows...i'm a fan of Arch Linux :)

tyme, on mobos (excluding the new athlon64s) the agp port is controlled by the northbridge on the motherboard (amongst other stuff like memory control and communication to the southbridge and beyond).

My northbridge is made by nvidia, even on windows you have to install their agpgart driver. All this means is that i have to get an evil bit of nvidia hardware working, and an evil bit of ati hardware working, together!

fissy: Nvidia's AGPgart?  hm...I didn't think nvidia did the AGPgart...besides, if you have a radeon card, you shouldn't be using anything nvidia...

as anyone who knows me knows...i'm a fan of Arch Linux :)

Well thats kinda difficult when the chipset is all nvidia.

I guess dump the card and buy an nvidia one is the only answer other than dumping the PC and keeping the card.

Most of the confusion I see here stems from the fact people don't realise the nvidia also make an AMD chipset.

This chipset includes AGPgart, network and audio.

So far ive found ONLY the Mandrake RPM's work easily and those ONLY work for the default kernel for 9.1 and 9.2.

If you change the kernel (like using enterprise becuase you have 1GB of RAM they don't work)

So then your down to compiling them ......

Again, the compile fine if you have the Mandrake vanilla kernel.....

If not you get a whole page of errors about the kernel headers being in the wrong place, even though you have the full source.

I suspect this is becuase Mandrake kernel source for a specific mandrake kernel IS NOT the same as the actual kernel source used for the binary kernel.

So then you end up having to actually recompile the kernel (not forgetting to edit out the extraversion Mandrake have added to the makefile since it tags -custom on the end and the 'make install' will fail on the nforce drivers which now compile OK. )

Ive been round and round in circles with this one.... and its hours of work each kernel change. Just as you get it working there's a new version .....

So basically ive given up. Mandrake and AMD shuttles using the nforce chipsets are just too incompatible. It works straight away with Debain and Knoppix so I have no intention of ever trying Mandrake on this box again.... it just eats my free time.

Same with my laptop.....

Im going to try MDK 10 RC1 on a spare machine and see if it works or not.....if not then I might just try 9.2 until the final 10 is out.

Are there any distro's working out of the box with nforce chipsets? I know that Mandrake requires some setup, but since I don't have an nforce (yet) I can't tell!

I have gentoo working with nforce VERY easily - I could hardly say "out of the box" but that's largely due to the nature of the distro.

All I needed to do to support nforce chipset was set one kernel config parameter (in order to get my ATI card working - which it does ;) ) and install the driver for the onboard networking (I disabled the onboard sound)

Installng the driver in gentoo is purely a case of running one command - emerge nforce-net

All very nice and easy - and I've had it working in 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Hope the above doesn't sound like bragging - it was sooo easy in gentoo that I can't really take much credit ;)

I am driving the topic back to distro's. So, gentoo does qualify as working "out of the box". Theoretically, any distro that does a "bootstrap" shoould work easily with the nforce.

Post number 3000. Yikes!! And I still haven't said anything!!!!

Are there any distro's working out of the box with nforce chipsets? I know that Mandrake requires some setup, but since I don't have an nforce (yet) I can't tell!

Hmmm.

Well officially knoppix doesn't becuase of the nature of the driver license ...

but to get it working all I did was ./configure & make & make install & insmod nvnet & netcardconfig....

which is pretty close

the unofficial -ac knoppix does as do several other derivatives....

Its not the driver compile that bugs me its the kernel compile in Mandrake and the fact it won't support my 1GB memory like knoppix does.

To be brutal, i don't mind keeping the nforce .tgz on a different partition during an upgrade then doing the make thing.... so long as it works..

the trouble starts when it doesn't becuase of

a) Those damned lockups

B) you can't access the internet without sticking in another card

c) when I do its another kernel compile/fiddle/kludge

Thats HOW I discovered knoppix....I had an old 3.2 CD off a magazine and installed 9.2.... the rpm didn't work for 9.1 OR 9.2 becuase it automatically gave me the enterprise kernel. So I set off to work out how to download the damned vanilla one without networking.

I was actually quite surprised when I just did a ./configure & make & make install and it all worked and then even more pleasantly surprised that other than the tainted kernel warning it just insmod'ed.

To me there are a few different levels ....of out of the box.

I'm a reasonably experienced linux user and I don't think twice about compiling a driver or app but messing about trying to get a kernel to work properly is a different matter. (I don't mean just getitng it to run... I mean tuned and reliable and with all the symbols you need for 'external' modules like a phillips webcam or pcmcia or nvnet....)

So to me recompiling the drivers and insmod'ing them is a trivial task (5 mins MAX) I don't mind doing every time I upgrade but messing with the kernel is another matter.

Having the NIC working is a NEED ... playing with a 2.6 kernel is something to do when you have a rainy weekend!!!

What I need from a distro is fundamentally that it works out of the box so i can start tuning it to my needs and if spare time comes up even to my curiosity.

Like I said about Mandrake MOVE ... it eithr works or it doesn't as far as Im concerned becuase fundamentally you need to know it will work within a couple of minutes of putting in the CD. I hour later when I could have been being productive in knoppix it was still hung on detecting hardware.

I took out the Cd, put in a new 3.4 knoppix (beta) CD and was running in less than 5 mins!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like playing with my Pc's, its just that somethings like Internet acces need to be available straight away!!!