Speedtouch adsl modem setup - Linux very newbie...

klutzini

Hi everyone,

I am very new to linux and have just installed Mandrake 9.2 after trying to install other versions (redhat 9, Suse 9), but to no avail...

I got an error message when installing mandrake re: speedtouch modem: go to http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/speedto...0011007.tar.bz2 to download drivers and copy 'mgmt.o' in usr/share/speedtouch.

I found the directory to copy, but the file was not with the download.

Having read the notes with the download, it also says that I can copy the .sys file that was installed with winXP into the same directory to install.... tried that, and a message came back to say that I could not... why?

I am so new to this... and so stuck, so simple replies please, I am not going to give up on this OS..

Many thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no wonder you are confused - the INSTALL file in that bz2 file is the height of unfriendliness. It's a definitive example in how NOT to do documentation....

> more INSTALL

"With GNU/Linux see doc-linux/Speedtouch-HOWTO-[en-fr].[txt-html]

With *BSD see doc-bsd/INSTALL"

errr. that's it - thats the INSTALL file. incredible isnt it?

the file you downloaded is the source code for the speedtouch drivers, so you'll need to compile it by doing this:

./configure

make

make install

but you shouldnt need to do any of that - i'm pretty certain that the Mandrake CD actually comes with the mgmt.o file you are after - i recall coming across a speedtouch directory in mandrake.

i did a lookup of "speedtouch" on rpmfind.net, and sure enough - i get 8 mandrake hits. it's definitely an rpm with the mandrake distro.

So, you should be able to do this from the konsole (as root):

urpmi speedtouch

this should prompt you for a mandrake cd - stick the cd in and you're done. you should have the speedtouch drivers installed.

Edited by kde-head

I logged in as root and did 'urpmi speedtouch'.

Strangely enough, I got the reply 'Everything already installed'.

So I now wonder, is there something else wrong + why would it during the installation ask me to copy the file.

Anyway, any help would be great.

many thanks

ah.... Went through Drakxconnet wizard and it is still asking for the mpmt.o file.... either it says from a floppy or the windows partition.

does this help

many thanks

I have a Speedtouch modem and it works fine in 9.1.

Having done some googling, it seems that the mgmt.o file was included on the 9.1 CDs but not the 9.2.

I've tried to attach a copy to this post, but keep getting an error. If you'd like to PM your email address, I could send you a copy... :unsure:

Got the file and installed ok.

My only challenge is to get the connection to work.

I have gone through the connection wizard in Drakconnect and it recognised the speedtouch modem and I put in all my settings, but still no joy....

What I have looked at is the box that displays the internet connections (which has the 'connect' box next to it..) and it only allows for ethernet connections... and not USB modem which I have.

Is there something else that I have to do?

Many thanks

have also an usb speedtouch modem. 9.1 installed the things automatically ..versions before it ..didn't to it completely if I remember correctly. If you need it again, you can find tyhe mgmt.o-file on the alcatel-site ..the drivers part. It's in the linux driver-package.

You have set your correct ISP-values in the connection-wizard? Just to be sure of that ...:). I don't know if Mandrake's firewal section ahs improved. I did it "manually" with shorewall (MAndrake also uses shorewall I believe, but puts a nice fornt-end to it, but shorewall itself is much more powerfull).

It's not really a good thing to have no firewall, although if your system is configured properly ..permissions, ... and all patched and nobody knows any securty vulnerabilities, your system ius safe withouth a firewall ..BUT BETTER HAVE ONE, it's like a first defense-perimeter.

The next links points to my shorewall config-files ..if Mandrake's firewall-stuff doesn't work properly for you.

The files are located in /etc/shorewall

Normally, I block everything. I only admit what I would like to use.

You can change what to allow in the rules-file. I've documented it a little bit, so people can change what they want ..and I know what everything means myself when I haven't looked at it for a while :).

You have to edit certainly the ISP-thingy (the IP-address you got fropm your ISP) you'll see in the rules-file. The rest of teh rules-file you can change according to your needs.

the link:

http://lumumba.luc.ac.be/~michel/

The shorewall-files when you follow the link are:

interfaces,

policy,

rules,

shorewall.conf,

zones

Edited by Michel

I have tried connecting with the firewall and without.... still no luck.

On setting up the internet connection through the wizard and I included the ISP name, DNS1&2, username and password... is there anything else?

The modem though does not connect through the ethernet port as it is connected by USB and then telephone cable directly from the modem through to the ADSL splitter. I mention this because on the internet connection settings next to the connect box it mentions ethernet port. I have also tried the above setting on the ethernet port as well... but to no avail....

This is driving me nuts.. I have been so used to winxp setting up everything automatically, that I am so stuck when it comes to linux, but am determined that it WILL work!!

many thanks so far.... :wall:

I have just about exhausted my knowledge of this subject, but here are a few more ideas...

I think you may have ended up with an ethernet connection if you had more than the ADSL option checked in the wizard. On my machine, I have winmodem, ADSL and ethernet connections detected. If you leave them all checked, Mandrake will choose one of them. I think others have had difficulties changing from one type of connection to another. I expect you've tried with just ADSL checked - the only way round this may be to tweak a config file... :unsure:

I've also found this suggestion on another site:

su -

Upload the Speedtouch firmware

modem_run -m -f /usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o

Launch pppd manually

pppd call adsl

Wait for 20 seconds then check ppp0 is running

ifconfig ppp0

Even if it doesn't work, you may get some useful error messages... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem, in MCC the modem is detected, and it give no problems.

Afterwards, when it tries to connect I get the message that there's no internet connection.

What can i do to connect anyway or how can i read any possible log files to see the error messages?!?

I'm having the same problem, in MCC the modem is detected, and it give no problems.

Afterwards, when it tries to connect I get the message that there's no internet connection.

Welcome to the board!

If you have the default firewall running, disable it temporarily and try again. The shorewall configuration provided by Mandrake doesn't work for everyone.

If this is the problem, you can download sample config files from the shorewall site and adjust them for your needs. The site has some pretty good documentation.

If you prefer, you could use a different firewall; or use iptables itself, which is the underlying code for most of them.

If it's not the firewall, you could try the suggestions in earlier posts.

Good luck! :)