Exclusive Linux Users

crock

Just wondering how many of us use Mandrake (or any other distro) EXCLUSIVELY as a main os. How'd you do it? What made you decide to use it? What do you do about Windows-only apps?

All interesting points, I'd like to see where I stand when compared to you all! :D

Me?

I use XP and MDK 9.2

XP for games only

Why?

Too many email worms and insecurities in XP.

I use Mandrake solely, but I plan to test others. I just want to do a few other things before I try others. I don't have any windows-only-apps ... I don't use windows...

I have mohaa for windows, which if I wanted could pay under linuyx withg wine, but %I probably will buy games that run natively in linux from now on. Anyway, quite some games that also run natively under linux seem to come out...

Now, I play some opensource/free games under linux. There are quite some actually and they're are not bad.

Although I've never played UT :), ...I just want top say that the UT2004 retail-cd seem to have the linux-version on it...if you didn't know :D.

I guess you could call me a linux only user. I do technicaly use windows XP, but that's only on my Fiance's laptop, which has an ATI video card that doesn't work very well and PC cards that don't work at all under linux.

How'd I do it? Poorly, many times until I figured it out. My first attempt at linux was one of the earliest releases of Lycoris which was VERY green at the time as a distro and I was soured for a couple years. Then I tried Mandrake 9.0 because I heard it was supposed to be a big update. Sure enough it was and I stuck with it, dual booting with XP for a couple months and then I stopped being an idiot, bought copy's of maple and some of my other criticle software, and started with a clean install of Mandrake and I have enver looked back.

Why. Stability, ease of use (once configured), responsiveness, customizability, speed, flexability, and most of all, the community. There is no windows community. People use it, there's some support forum filled with 14 year old geeks with no social skills that would rather mock than help and that's pretty much it.

Linux only ( mdk 9.2, but I play around with Suse 9.0 and Debian) for 6 days of the week. Once a week I boot into Win 2000 for a short time and use quicken to update my finances. Also at this time of the year I also start doing my taxes with Turbotax. I've tried Moneydance and Gnucash and find both of them lacking. So maybe 1-2 hrs a week on Windows.

I use Linux only for all personal use. Unfortunately I have to use windows for work but I think most people do. My main distro is gentoo altho I still have mdk on the hd. I didn't have a hard time making the switch. Nothing I can't do better in Linux than Windows. Why? stability, fun, challenging, you name it. Windows - bah!

EXCLUSIVELY as a main os.

.....Too many email worms and insecurities in XP.

'EXCLUSIVELY/main'

implies mutually exclusives but...

I'm in linux 99.5% or more. Have win98 for games and 2k for office/work, itunes, and dvd. I play dvd's in linux sometimes if I'm in the mood to screw with it.

I've never had a prob w/ worms and such in win in 3 years (only 3 worms easily removed)....so I won't go there :P .

Edited by bvc

i use linux, nothing but linux, so help me linus!! seriously i use straight linux now, no windows. my wife gave away all of our windows software.

what caused this? our first computer had windows 98. i crashed that over 20 times. most my fault. then we baught our first computer (the windows 98 one had been given to us by my folks). our new computer came with ME :wall: . oy!! was that a nightmare!! ME litterally crashed 5 times in one day on my wife. i was beta testing XP and had stopped supporting ME for my wife. XP at first seemed an improvement, but then compared to ME....anything is an improvement. i discovered XP has another screen of death, a red screen of death. i found alot of hardware doesnt work with XP, and alot of software doesnt work. basically forcing me to "upgrade". but even the software designed for XP rarely worked. XP was just a big headache.

we stay in linux cause "it just works", and its true. linux does "just work". it does everything i need. i rarely see a crash, and rarely need to reboot.

Well, for both of my systems at home, I run Mandrake exclusively (cooker updates on both). I have XP on my laptop, but the only one that uses it is my girlfriend.

Unfortunately, like so many others here, I have to use windows at work. The versions I am using there are 98, NT 4.0 and 2k.

It was a pretty easy decision for me to go all linux. I can do everything I ever did with windows on linux. Plus I like the configuration options that I now have.

It did, however, take a long time for me to make the decision to get rid of windows. I didn't do it until I was completely comfortable in knowing what I was doing in Linux.

I use MDK exclusively now and have been for about a year or a little more now, I guess. I experimented with RH 9.0, Gentoo, and a Knoppix HD install. I kept a dual boot for the first year for my games (Total Annihilation and Diablo II), but I kept making the Windows partition smaller and smaller. When my Windows partition got down to 3 GB, I decided it must not be that important to me, so I deleted the partition. I still have the original Windows install on a partition on my new laptop and I only kept that because of a processor problem I had with the last laptop I bought and I had to reinstall Windows on it before I returned it and it was a pain to get it back to the original factory installation, so I kept Windows on here, just so if I had to return this laptop, I wouldn't have to go through that again. Yesterday, I booted into Windows XP on the laptop, just to check and see if my NWN backup CD would run in Windows and, let me tell ya, with kernel-2.6.2-0.rc3.1mdk-i686-up-4GB and XFree 4.4.0 RC 2 my mouse is more responsive in Linux than in Windows for a change; Windows boots much slower; the wired network shows as being non-functional in Windows (wired network card was preinstalled on this laptop) even though I can connect to the internet through it, although slowly; and probably a few more things. Linux has come a long way in the last two years.

Why have I become a Linux-only user? Hmmmmm...when my Windows partition on my desktop got down to 3 GB, I decided that Windows must not be important, as I stated above. Not only that, but now I just don't have to worry about worms and viruses anymore. I don't have to worry about having to buy a new software license because I upgraded a major piece of hardware on my system. Also, stability is an issue.

What do I do about Windows-only software? There's only one piece of Windows-only software that I use now and that is Diablo II and I use WineX for it.

(Wow, is what Gowator has contagious? I believe that is probably the longest post I have ever made.)

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I have two computers, one old laptop running Fedora (because I couldn't get MDK to install) and Fedora only. Love it.

Then I have my desktop, there I still have dualboot with MDK9.2 and XP. The reason why I still have XP is two apps:

Dreamveawer - I have to "clean up" the code on my pages before I can use Bluefish allround, I'm getting there slowly.

Photoshop - I just don't get GIMP, have tried to install the 2.0 Beta, but no go so far... This is the main reason for keeping XP.

... oh, and once in a while I play NHL 2002... but thats it.

I boot up XP maybe once/twice a week, other than that it's Linux all the way at home. At work it will forever be Microsoft platforms I'm afraid.