Linux mentioned on the box

aRTee

I remember paying a handsome amount for that modem (around 80 bux or so with the rebate) just because it says linux support on the box

Now if all hardware manufacturers would just understand that we linuxfreaks are this crazy that they can actually have 5 times higher profit level, they'd all be putting in some more effort... :P

BTW I'm working on an open letter to all windows users that requests that they buy hardware that is win and lin compatible..... I'll tell more if you're interested...

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Verbatim Memory Stick.... I bought it just for that!!!

The others would have worked BUT verbatim actually say so....

However.... lets get this in context.

Lets name those manufacturers WHO use linux (embedded etc.) BUT don't support it. 

NETGEAR WG311/WG511 ... worse than no support, even the drivers are locked in a Win exe file thats not wineable or cabextract etc. 

They have actually made a BIG EFFORT to stop this being used by linux users!!!  The WG511 in particualt is sheer nastyness on theior part.... (last netgear product I ever buy)

If thats not CHEEKY enough they use embedded linux in most of their routers!!!

Netgear lists Linux OS on some of their routers. I have one of those.

• 1 year later...

It really is a pain in the arse wishing and hoping they would state "Linux compatible" on the carton!

It would certainly boost sales if it said so. I wonder why not, or are they all sponsored by Windoze?

I have set up, fixed and built scores of computers for friends and family, and always tried Linux (for fun) on each box, even if the owner specifically wanted his or her PC to be setup with windoze.

Here is what I found out and what I stick to:

1) For printing/scanning I prefer HP, preferably a PSC- all in one unit with printer+scanner+copier. They work perfectly good with linux, and especially so with Mandriva! (Thanks to Till Kamppeter of Mandriva for his great effort making Mandriva + HP's work together so perfectly!)

2) For modems I prefer the external sort, the chances of that working with Mandriva are very good. I personally have an old (1997?) Elsa 56k modem. A new one wouldn't be better.

3) For soundcards I prefer the sort with a well-proven IC that has been around for quite a while. They almost always work.

4) Avoid crappy cheap mainboards because the on-board stuff such as soundcards, modems, VGA, and so on may or may not work under Linux. Perhaps there is a 60% or so chance for each on-board feature to work. If you want 3D graphics to work you would want to get either ATI or NVIDIA AGP-cards. I have yet found no other cards with working 3D under Linux! (I would love to know if anyone found alternatives!)

5) Be prepared to buy replacements for on-board stuff that won't work, such as sound, VGA/graphics, etc, etc. Always ask the dealer before you buy if you may return it should it will fail to work under linux. If the store won't allow that, go somewhere else!

6) I have never had linux-compatibility issues with network-cards, USB-sticks, hard drives, etc.

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

I once bought a pci card for a modem made by belkin and on the box were the words

:D

Windows

Mac

Linux

even had linux drivers on the CD, i can't tell you the exact model because i returned it, and now still have the notorious eagle-usb modem installed. :mdk:

I bought a Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce FX5700 Ultra about two years ago - not only said it was Linux compatible, but they had the Nvidia Linux drivers on the included CD :thumbs:

I won an AOpen DV3000 digital camera in a competition a while ago and on the box it said 'Compatible with Linux kernel version 2.4 or above.'

What else... of course, from a software perspective, I enjoyed buying Unreal Tournament 2004 with the little Tux icon on the box :)

Oh, and the Segate external hard drive I use at work listed Linux compatibility on the box.

When we subscribed to adsl here in Poland, they supplied a Sagem Fast 800 USB DSL Modem, which had Linux drivers on the CD.

Never used it though, I use a router instead, much better for multiple machine connectivity.

Because of my impending move to Arizona, I learned that Cox cable makes you own your own cable modem. After finding out which were compatible that were available at my local BestBuy, I ended up buying a Motorola Surfboard 5120 because it said specifically that it was Linux/Unix compatible on the box.

I realize that as an ethernet cable modem, they all should be compatible, but this is the only one that said so on the box. A big plus.