Linux mentioned on the box

aRTee

Just curious, since I have come across a couple of pieces of hardware that actually mentioned linux compatibility on the box.

- a Samsung laserprinter, mentioned "RH Linux 7.2 compatible" on the box

- a netword card (forgot which brand or type) mentioned "For Windows and Linux" and on the floppy, indeed, were the sources (not necessary, they were also on the Mdk install)

Someone mentioned their usb-memory card/stick said "Linux kernel 2.4" compatible.

What have you guys come across?

My main interest is in the word "Linux" on the outside of the package as a 'feature' of the hardware; my asus board actually had audio drivers for linux on the cd, but in this thread, I'd say that doesn't count.

If you can, mention brand and model of the product.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Verbatim Memory Stick.... I bought it just for that!!!

The others would have worked BUT verbatim actually say so....

However.... lets get this in context.

Lets name those manufacturers WHO use linux (embedded etc.) BUT don't support it.

NETGEAR WG311/WG511 ... worse than no support, even the drivers are locked in a Win exe file thats not wineable or cabextract etc.

They have actually made a BIG EFFORT to stop this being used by linux users!!! The WG511 in particualt is sheer nastyness on theior part.... (last netgear product I ever buy)

If thats not CHEEKY enough they use embedded linux in most of their routers!!!

My geforce FX card can't remember the manufacturer had a linux compatible penguin on the box. DSE brand Network cards and pci fax modems(intel ham chipsets) have linux listed as compatable on boxes from Dick Smith electronics stores, there are other DSE examples just cant think of them at the moment.

Our Iomega MiniDrives (thumbdrive) had Linux listed as a supported OS for a while.

After working for two weeks to get my two 311's to work I turned them into shotgun targets. Truely the most spectacular use for them I could think of.

My Netgear FA311's (wired network cards) have no problem working with Linux (IIRC, it even said 'compatible with Linux kernel 2.4 and up' on the box), but with what was posted above, I will not buy another Netgear product.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I have one of THOSE FA311 nics and I could not get a driver recognized in Win98SE!! Didn't try it in Linux. I would much rather have a DLink DFE-530TX+, since I had absolutely NO trouble with Windoze drivers and not a bit of problem in Linux. Unfortunately, I gave that one to a friend, and had to get this thing, when I thought my onboard the mobo nic was damaged (thankfully it was only the cable).

Pzatch...

I have some old CRT monitors !!!

whooooosh....

It works with the linuxant driver.... unpacking the damned files meant using vmware but they worked with the price of the linuxant driver...

My 802.11b is the WA311 .. it works with madwifi but honestly after the effort Netgear put into stopping linux users using the WG series... I don't think Ill buy another ...

Its the fact they seem to have actually put time into preventing linux from using them.... no easy zip file or even a MS cab file...

This really proves aRTee's point about sending messages to manufacturers....

Pzatch .... any very small bits left ????

Why not post them to Netgear with an explanation as to WHY and tell t hem you won't be buying their products AGAIN!

They were the FA311 cards. And I soon learned why they were only 8 bucks. Windows didn't even like them. They worked, but windows seemed even more buggy with them installed.

Knowing what I know now I probably could have gotten them to work in RH7.2. But since it was my first try at linux I was an idiot. Seimens cards(got them with a four port seimens router) though never ever gave me a bit of trouble. Worked right out of the box with every kernel. For the extra 5 bucks they cost they were WELL worth it. They even seemed faster in windows.

Sorry as you can see from my experience above that was quite a while ago. That was a fun day. Got rid of a few old cases and two of those great green screens. Hard drives really are pretty hard. Had to get a bit closer to really take those babies apart. Must have got rid of a closets worth of junk that day.

PULLLL!!!!!

yep, Linksys eth and I think the router (not gonna look), USRobotics 5686 External Modem, Apollo nVidia GF4 MX440SE AGP 64mb card, and Epson though not mentioning it one the box does have Linux in the driver install instructions w/ drivers on the disk. In the reg process I mentioned that it'd be nice if it said Linux Compat on the box as well.

Oh, and the retail/boxed Tuxracer said it was Windows Compat :lol: :cheesy:

Edited by bvc

Actiontec PCI Modem.

I bought that one back in 1999. Even though it doesn't have a driver, the manual gives you instructions of how to enable linux support. All you do is to type 3 commands as root (so you can put those commands in the /etc/rc.local).

I remember paying a handsome amount for that modem (around 80 bux or so with the rebate) just because it says linux support on the box.