• Parted

please only vote if you have Lin and Win OS's

I've always been curious. Now, I gotta know :D

I've spent the last four days attempting to fix and not loose

win98

win2k

ML-10-beta2

and my share/bkup partition

I finally gave in. You can slap me if you want to but I used Partition Magic7's BootMagic for my first 8 or so months of my mandrake linux life w/o any trouble at all. I just bought PM8 and am reverting to it again and ext3fs. Grub/reiserfs/diskdrake have been great, in and of themselves, but they do not play well w/ win. I bought a new 120gb hd in hopes of having less problems and it just cause a complete colapse. I started over completely. Well, except for the real important stuff was backed up on a network win2k pc ;) :deal:

Edited by bvc

DiskDrake works well.

I tought you wanted to know, how do we organize our partitions.

For my part my current setup is quite useful I think.

hda1 -> root

hda5 -> /usr/local

hda6 -> swap

hda7 -> /home

That way, I can reinstall the OS on / without touching /home, or /usr/local, in which I have programs such as quake, mozilla installed through the mozilla installer, or matlab. Amazingly, or not so but it's cool anyways, programs in /usr/local will launch without problem after a new install using this partion setup.

I also have a second hard drive, where lies a useless Win2k (NTFS) partition on which I never boot anymore, an XOSL partition dating back to the days where this was my primary HD, and also a VFAT partition for general storage, and which was useful to transfer files from Windows to Linux.

It depends on what I want to do.  For Windows partitions, I use PM exclusively.  I haven't found anything better than it so far.

For my ML partitions, I use diskdrake.  It works, that's important; and it's relatively easy to use in a Partition Magic kind of way.

See, I've never been able to do that (use both). The last time I use PM7 to make a change to a bkup fat win partition, I ended up reinstalling the wins. The last time I used distrake to remove/add linux reiserfs partitions, I ended up having to reinstall the wins. These are the 2 most recent and most drastic but problems and 'close calls' have always existed once switching from PM7/ext2 to diskdrake/PM7-4-win/reiserfs, and also trying ext3.

Signed:

Tired

[EDIT]tell me? how come PM/win partitions can be just fine until a linux is installed? You're in win >start PM< and wham, all the partitions are whacked out and PM won't start unless you allow it to 'fix' them. I know, I know they do things diff, but that's the point. In my case over and over they do things so diff I have to reinstall win. We know what a pain that is.

Edited by bvc

BTW, the so called bug everyone has complained about where diskdrake doesn't really format because you should have rebooted yet it didn't tell you that so you lost data is fixed in ML-10-beta2. ;) When created partitions it forces you to reboot for the partition table then after the reboot you can format the new. Pain in the rear, yet correct. ;)

[EDIT]tell me? how come PM/win partitions can be just fine until a linux is installed? You're in win >start PM< and wham, all the partitions are whacked out and PM won't start unless you allow it to 'fix' them. I know, I know they do things diff, but that's the point. In my case over and over they do things so diff I have to reinstall win. We know what a pain that is.

I have keep getting that error in PM7 no matter what I do. I think it's cause PM7 won't recognize ext3, and that's what my partitions are set up as (that and reiserfs). I just hit no (or cancel, it's been a while) on the error message and it lets me in just fine. I just don't use it to resize/edit/whatever my linux partitions. I've never had a problem with it as long as I defrag first.

On the defrag note, Windows has a habit of putting the swap wherever it damn well pleases. It's helpful for defragging purposes to turn off the swap, reboot, then do your defrag, then turn the swap back on. Makes it a lot easier. Just something I picked up back when I was using Windows 98.

BTW, the so called bug everyone has complained about where diskdrake doesn't really format because you should have rebooted yet it didn't tell you that so you lost data is fixed in ML-10-beta2. ;) When created partitions it forces you to reboot for the partition table then after the reboot you can format the new. Pain in the rear, yet correct. ;)

great ! .. so I don't have to check myself :P

As far as PM 5 is concerned: if I play with DiskDrake I usually couldn't launch it any more, saying there was an error, I don't remember witch one. I fixed that letting a little place unaffected at the end of the disk. Generally it worked.

To reply the question: Now exclusively DiskDrake.

roland

qtparted is just parted with a front end so I guess that should go under parted....

which is exactly what I use.

I've used it to resize my winXP vfat partition that came pre-installed, then create several ext3 / swap / boot partitions and then finally to reduce the size of one of these ext3 partitions and add a vfat share partition.