How does one create a forum like this one?

riorama

I know this may not be a linux specific question, but how does one create a forum like this one? Is this php or what? Ive seem some service supported forums similar to this ( http://astoria.mung.net).

Seems very similar in nature to this one. Where would I begin with making one?

Any ideas?

Someone around heres gotta know this!

Help!

Yes, your assumptions are correct. This forum, and others like it, run on PHP, along with a SQL database (mySQL).

So to create your own, you will need a server capable of running those programs (apache works great) and then the source files for the board, which you can download from their site (which is posted at the bottem of each page) and then upload to your server. After that you just open up a start/config page in a browser and it practically builds itself. (Read the faq on the homepages and they usually explain enough to get you going)

Most of what you need will be found on your install disks and you could setup your own box to experiment with these.

Another note, you can also usually install a forum as a module within another type of php site. FOR example pclinuxonline uses php-nuke for their news site, but has a "splatt" forum plugged in.

I have lots of fun experimenting with these things myself. :D