internet klub server

T1TAN

hi everyone,

here is the story... i've been working my em.. ash off to get this started: i'm working (well, as a volunteer) in an internet club. after two years of working with that-other-OS :tm: , they've decided to take my advice and go linux with the server. bad sentence.

anyways, the real problem is that i'm a linux newbie myself, and now i have to configure it to be a "server". what we want it to do is to connect to the internet (ISDN), share that connection with 7 other-OS machines (that-other-OS-XP-Pro :tm: ), and to be stable and secure (firewalls and stuff...). also it would be nice to have a partition or two shared with the client PCs, for misc stuff.

now, what i'm asking here is for some instructions, which tools to use, what settings need to be set & where, etc.. i am a complete newbie, by i'm ready to learn so please help...

oh, yeah, the system is MDK9.2 (download ed.) btw. i can't believe how good it is! the difference between 8.2 and 9.2 is amazing!

thanx!

well it is so easy. install 2 nic card's enable internet connection sharing. and then wola.. don't forget to turn on the firewall though.. But seriously If it were me. i would use mandrake mnf/snf

Mandrake firewall then build a server .. dont let the server be the firewall also.... just a word of advice..

Jason..

Install 9.2MDK make sure iptables is on

I would add squid to the server as it will speed up pages that are constantly being used.

Adding smoothwall will also make it quicker then the standard firewall package and more secure

Smoothwall site has a setup configs right on there site for a 2 card system and good writeups

You should use a 3 card if you run a web server or ftp server at the site

Up and running in about 1- 2 hours

hope this might help

Wow, someone replied... :o :lol:

It's like this: we're connecting through ISDN, and we have a "Fast Ethernet Switch" (so it sez..) so i don't quite understand the need for those cards..(we will not set up any http/ftp servers)? And the club can't afford another PC to be the firewall...unfortunately..

And now the questions: whatis mnf/snf? my biggest problem (i suppose) is going to be partition sharing. how to make XP machines take a look at linux shared partitions? and vice versa of course... i've been told that Samba izz the best for this kind of thing..?

i am currently downloading smoothwall, and remembering squid thing... B)

quicknote: as i said, i'm quite a newbie at this stuff so..you know.. :wall:

thank you all

t1

install this and use it.. I like it alot better than Smoothwall..

Mandrake MNF

It is good to use and i use it and love it alot.. ive tried smoothwall and mandrake mnf is better and has alot more features.

hm.. let me see if i got this right.. mandrake has NO firewall built in? i think i saw a 'firewalling option'..? is it not possible to make it secure just by itself, after all, we're a small club, and all we want is to keep MS Blast stuff and similar em... features.. off our system. we don't need very high level of security, just the basic one.. :unsure:

is this possible? buying anything would be a great obstacle (boss == selfish asHhole :tm: )

yeah the built in firewall is good but remember to do the updates and stuff..

great! do you have a tip for partition sharing? is samba o.k. for this? do i put it only on linux ('server') machine or every machine (windoze)?

Forgive me for sounding like I am slamming you but I have a few thoughts on this, and they are out of concern for your customer.

First, you mention you spent 2 years on the other os and now finally talked the owner into switching to linux. Then you say you are a newbie and want a roadmap and directions.

Second, you are very insistent about sharing files on the same machine that handles firewall/routing. Bad..very bad, just opens up opportunities if you don't have things secured properly.

Third, you say basic security. I think that is the wrong approach, its either secure or it isnt. If you are gonna take the time to do this, at least do it right and follow to the letter the roadmap and directions you requested.

Fourth, Save your self a whole lot of headache and achieve the same goal by purchasing a decent firewall/router like the D-Link or Linksys units available that will give you adequate firewall security and internet connectivity. These units have advanced greatly from a couple years ago. Then use the box you want to use for the firewall/router/file server/ etc. and set it up as a dedicated file server, safe and secure.

It is hardly good practice to test your knowledge and ability to learn at someone elses expense. A small mistake can expose all of his business information to the world, or worse yet, destroy it. Not a good thing. You would be better off testing and learning in a test environment then use that knowledge to show your stuff when used in a real world scenario.

Either way, It is GREAT that you want to learn, and I wish you luck. I do hope you at least told the owner of the klub he would be a guinea pig.

Cheers,

RED

Good points RED.

Besides, I might be wrong but I think if you use the 2 NICS setting and the wiz it will

a) Not give access from the linux machine to the internet - now this is a good thing for a firewall but not what I think your trying to achieve.

B) Samba ports will be blocked.....

c) Figuring out the mandrake shorewall config is a nightmare.

So perhaps a hw box will help....

Where are you exactly ????

Tell me about the club and I might give you a CISCO 775. (ISDN router)