I need you ALL to read this!

SoulSe

Personally, I see Linux gaming stuck in the Win3.1-Win95 conversion era. Not a whole lot of commercial titles, but some. A ton of free titles on various sorts and differing quality. We have drivers for most of the latest in 3D cards, sound card, input items, and the like. Not everything works 100%, but it's getting better.

When going for the commercial games, don't forget the full impact of having some of these game running under Linux gets you. For instance, Q3. There are hundreds of mods for it, both partial and full remakes. The same goes for UT and several others. These mods bring a lot of new like to a tired game. Then there are other commercial games that have gone open source which enables them, games based on the same engine, to be moved over to Linux.

In the free games, there are a good number of exceptional titles. The problem I have found, like many free games on the early Win95 platform, is that many are abandon or require some obscure bit of software to get them working. One really needs to sift through a lot of bracken to find some treasures hidden in the pile.

Hahaha.

Okay, here I am. I don't have much time to post on here anymore, that's why I'm not here.

Now, I would beg you don't use this opportunity to promote WineX, but I can't stop you and I don't really care much anymore. I'd rather see PC gaming die off altogether, but unfortunately, it won't happen soon. I have my reasons, and they aren't that hard to think of, so I'm not going to list them here (email me if you're enraged at this, and we can talk about it).

Feel free to use my article as a basis. I'm glad some people remembered about it too. That's very cool.

Also, UT2K4 had a demo release yesterday for Linux, if you weren't already aware.

Not sure what else you want me to say. Don't go looking in the WineX threads for advice on this... Some of the WineX users seem to be misinformed about some things. I can give examples: Quake 3 Arena can be played natively with the Windows CD. Soldier of Fortune was released by Loki and can still be purchased from various sources. WineX does not run hundreds of games. A dozen or two, tops. There have been ports killed off by WineX's existance - Sacrifice is a prime example. And so on.

Anyhow, I'm not a guru or anything these days, but I would be willing to proofread your article for you, if you want. Drop me a line at dana@xboxaddict.com and we can talk.

Anyhow, I should go. I have to do a review for a new game coming out next week, and I have only played it for about an hour. The review is due by tomorrow night. Look for it next week sometime, probably on the 17th. ;)

:thumbs: thanks DOlson. What? Me? Punt WineX? I think not, although I am going to have to mention it. My take on WineX hasn't changed, if you want to play your old games (we all used windoze at one stage) then go ahead and use it, but don't buy new windoze games.... or something like that ;)

I think I understand your wish for PC gaming to die altogether better then most. But lets not start another console campaign.

I'm only going to start writing in about two weeks and I will make use of all your generous offers then. Right now I'm adapting to a new job as part of a new life in a new city... and crying alot. :help:

Hahaha.

Okay, here I am. I don't have much time to post on here anymore, that's why I'm not here.

Now, I would beg you don't use this opportunity to promote WineX, but I can't stop you and I don't really care much anymore. I'd rather see PC gaming die off altogether, but unfortunately, it won't happen soon. I have my reasons, and they aren't that hard to think of, so I'm not going to list them here (email me if you're enraged at this, and we can talk about it).

Feel free to use my article as a basis. I'm glad some people remembered about it too. That's very cool.

Also, UT2K4 had a demo release yesterday for Linux, if you weren't already aware.

Not sure what else you want me to say. Don't go looking in the WineX threads for advice on this... Some of the WineX users seem to be misinformed about some things. I can give examples: Quake 3 Arena can be played natively with the Windows CD. Soldier of Fortune was released by Loki and can still be purchased from various sources. WineX does not run hundreds of games. A dozen or two, tops. There have been ports killed off by WineX's existance - Sacrifice is a prime example. And so on.

Anyhow, I'm not a guru or anything these days, but I would be willing to proofread your article for you, if you want. Drop me a line at dana@xboxaddict.com and we can talk.

Anyhow, I should go. I have to do a review for a new game coming out next week, and I have only played it for about an hour. The review is due by tomorrow night. Look for it next week sometime, probably on the 17th. ;)

:thumbs: thanks DOlson. What? Me? Punt WineX? I think not, although I am going to have to mention it. My take on WineX hasn't changed, if you want to play your old games (we all used windoze at one stage) then go ahead and use it, but don't buy new windoze games.... or something like that ;)

I think I understand your wish for PC gaming to die altogether better then most. But lets not start another console campaign.

I'm only going to start writing in about two weeks and I will make use of all your generous offers then. Right now I'm adapting to a new job as part of a new life in a new city... and crying alot. :help:

Going slightly off topic - which city is the new one?

Going slightly off topic - which city is the new one?

Johannesburg. Which is a really amazing city that I have lived an hour away from my whole life but am only really discovering now. It's officially classified as the World's biggest man-made forest, while still being the financial heart of the African continent. It's a great place, just really big and overwhelming... reminds me a little of when I was in New York, except with more African flavour, less bagels and... more trees.

That makes no sense :cheesy: