...odd request

Urza9814

Wasn't going to ask anywhere for this, but can't find any on tucows or google...and I figure none of you really know me...so here it goes:

This is probably an odd request and even weirder reason for this forum...but here's what I need: some type of internet 'adult content' filter for linux...and it has to be free...or at least a free trial...here's the reason: for myself...yes...me...and that's why it has to be free...my parent's don't know (so I can't exactly get their credit card and order one :P)...but yea...I've been trying to stop that stuff for...uh...about 2 years now...no sucess...and since I got linux, I know I can get away with it (the rest of my family can only reboot to windoze on this comp) so I'm doing it a lot more now...several times a day...and I'm only 13! I shouldn't be doing this stuff..and I think it'd make my gf happy if I quit...though she says she doesn't care...usually...

so...yea...anyone know of any?

see, my theory on windoze was delete all other browsers except IE, so I couldn't do it without massive risk of my parents finding out...and by the time I DLed and installed another one, I'd be like 'WTF am I doing???'...but that don't work on Linux...even if they started using it...there are too many other browsers...and I don't know how to remove stuff yet :-P

The good thing is, if I install a prog like this on linux...no one will know...if I did that on windoze, they'd see it and wonder why the hell it's there...and that'd be bad...so at least with linux it's just a matter of finding a prog...

anyways, any help greatly appriciated...

Edited by Urza9814

I am impressed that you recognize the need for self-discipline in this area of your life. When I was 13, I was an idiot! But you do not need software. You need someone to confide in that will help you hold to your word. It should be your Dad, or another male leader in your life. Confiding in someone else is better than any software, and you will return the favor someday for someone else. Hang tough and stick to what you know is right. :thumbs:

I'm not telling my parents...they don't even know that I swear or anything...

I've tried that theory with friends...twice...my girlfriend once...didn't work...I think software is my only hope at this point...I think my main problem is: I'm too afraid/nervous to talk to my parents...for obvious reasons...and most of the ppl I know in this town, like, use chew and stuff...no way they'll be of any help...so I've gotta rely on other internet friends...worked for a while...then it failed...tried religion once too...that worked for a while...but in the end, it too failed...and with each failed attempt the next works less...I think software is about my only hope now :-S

oh...BTW...I was able to get one of my internet friends to stop once...and yet I myself was unable to...that's sad......

Edited by Urza9814

I DLed it an everything...but it didn't work...something with perl...so i think I don't have a new enough version...so I DLed a newer version...and it's a .tar file...not .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, but just .tar ...so, this is probably in the FAQ, but I can't find it...so...how do I use that?

urpmi squidguard ???

paul's suggestion looks like its what your looking for. I see it is on the CD2 install disk... and should be no problem to install with urpmi. Tho it may be squidGuard (with a big G) instead.

urpmi squidGuard

if you don't have that, you can get it from:

http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake...-7mdk.i586.html

Wow - I'm really impressed at your honesty and your desire to break an unhelpful habit!

I also agree with some of the above suggestions about maybe setting up some kind of proxy (squid) for your internet connections.

There is one module for squid (I'm afraid I foget the name) which blocks sites not only based on the URL, but also it scans to see if it contains any "adult" material.

Whatever you find to use though - good luck in sorting this out :D

hey urza ...

First off its not the end of the world...

I wouldn't say its a good thing but there are FAR WORSE things you could be doing like drugs...smoking and 1001 others.

You will find that you have temptations all your life, they don't dissapear so its a good start to be coping with this so maturely.

I doubt the software will help, you can always turn it off, bypass the proxy etc.

However its obviously not a good thing and it rather likely will ruin the real thing when your older so it will be better to give it up.

Ultimately it will be down to YOU.... but you might need some help.

Like Ix says a trusted adult would be the best. You said you tried religeon so why not confide in your priest/minister/pastor or whatever cleric you have.

It probably seems really frightening to bring up but I bet you'll be surprised.... like with the response on this board - noone has condemned you all you have got is admiration for your honesty and maturity.

I doubt the software will help, you can always turn it off, bypass the proxy etc.

Yes, I realize this, but my theory is, by the time I do that, I'll think 'WTF am I doing???'...It takes longer to shut down progs running in the BG under linux than it does in windoze...

I got squidGuard installed (found my mandrake CDs)...but I get the following error:

2004-02-07 11:45:41 [3623] squidGuard: can't write to logfile /var/log/squidGuard/log/squidGuard.log

2004-02-07 11:45:41 [3623] squidGuard: can't open configfile /etc/squidGuard/squidGuard.conf

but I think it still runs...not totally sure though...

I also installed DansGuardian...but I don't know the command to run it...I tried DansGuardian, dansguardian, and stuff like that, but it doesn't work...so I'm gonna have to go back into RPMdrake and find the file name sometime...

[edit]

I found it...it's in /usr/sbin ...but it still doesn't work...

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost urza9814]# /usr/sbin/dansguardian

Error reading custom image file: /etc/dansguardian/transparent1x1.gif

Error creating connection to test proxy

Edited by Urza9814