Linux Expo 2004

Gowator

Well Ill write a REAL report later!!!

Some quick observations...

1) It was all good fun.. someone thoughtfully put the three BSD's in a row :D

Shouts of get the REAL BSD here !!!!

2) Mandrakesoft were everywhere.... :D (damned well should be too its their home town)

But (and I told them this)

They had lots of pick up a free copy here BUT (and this kills me) it was mainly 9.0.

The actual stand was giving out 9.2 and they sponsered the internet access with the help of PLF (Well unless liquid and superkaramaba/OS-Xbar are part of the standard now:D )

3) I had a chat with PLF... nice guys and told them a big thank you. If there was anywhere to get a beer I'd have bought em both one!!!!

Mandrake and Apple were the least Francophone stands... that is both of them just started talking to me in English when they heard my terrible accent.

(much as I appreciate this is Paris it shows good business sense)Apple had the BEST stand from a marketing POV. Right by the entrance.

I also have the name and email of the CTO now...... who Ill be emailing about them allowing people to give out 9.0.... (honestly its negative advertising giving out old releases, granted many were from mags but if I were running their advertising I'd have gone and stolen them all and replaced them with 9.2)

Novel were VERY RED... not a hint of Suse Green to be seen.... (a sign of thingto come perhaps)

The apples were really SEXY.... what else can I say!!!

KDE 3.3xxxx was all running at the KDE stand, they were desktop sharing everyone .. all the BSD guys and linux guys (really COOL)

AMD were crap.....

Honestly.... they had a tiny stand about 1/4 the size of Intel and only a single 64bit machine. Like everyone esle they were giving away 9.0.

They had a shuttle opened up and i figured perhaps it was the new SN41G (64 bit) but no, it was the REALLY old one with the realtek nw (pre-nforce, same as lil' gorse has)

Honestly what a missed marketing opportunity for AMD, to be fair they did have time to chat but you'd expect a company the size of AMD to have the latest and greatest ... but the only 64 bit machine was a rackmount (that wasn't mounted) and hence looked like a fish outa water.

Microsoft.... shared source was thankfully empty, i pity the poor people who had the stands eitherside, it was like having a stick full of doggydoo shoved in your face.

It looks like Ill be Mandrake again pretty soon.... I got a free AMD64 4-disk set.

So guess Ill be spending money this weekend!!!

Well those are my initial impressions. Straight back to the office.