laptop poweroff

coverup

I knew I was gonna have trouble with this... Exactly, I am having trouble with shutting down my new ThinkPad T41. Halt brings all services down, then the line "Power Down" appears but the laptop remains on... Someone suggested that this is acpi vs apm question... well I was trying apm with "noapic nolapic, acpi=off". Then I was trying acpi=on, without apm - nothing helps. Is it really that bad? Debian geeks from Tuxmobil.org aren't very clear on this: "patch here, compile there, might work in the future"... I might do that sometime when I have free time on my hands, but right now it's not an option for me...

Any help please?...

Okay, enabling kernel options "acpi=on noapic nolapic" and running acpi and acpid services on boot and stopping apm allows me to turn off the laptop (I have to exit X for this to work...). But now klaptop can't read the battery status! After I unplugged the power cord, I am getting this:

# more /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present:                 yes
ERROR: Unable to read battery status

Plugged the power cord back, no change....

Does anybody know, what's going on? Any help please....