File Sharing w/ OSX

Alydyn

in order to change your G5 to the workgroup MDKGROUP, you have to go to "Directory Access" its a program in the utilities folder. click on "SMB", and the configure. in there you will be able to change your workgroup name. BTW...I just looked on 10.3.2 powerbook, its there. After that you should be able to browse to the mandrake box with no problems. I'd be more worried about getting the linux machine to work straight, than the G5. After all, it is a mac....and they just work.....

OK, NFS is moderately nifty. ;)

Followed your directions, and was able to mount and umount exports between my linux boxes (haven't messed with any fstab modifications, yet). Not difficult at all, and the file transfers are definantly faster. Still :wall: trying to get the NFS exports to mount on the Macs. I keep getting...

Argos:/Users/me root# mount 192.168.1.141:/export/expdir /Users/me/mnt

mount_nfs: /Users/me/mnt: Operation not permitted

...from terminal on the Mac, and when I enter nfs://192.168.1.141/export/expdir in the Go >> Conect to Server... dialog box in the GUI, it says it can't connect because the name or password is incorrect.

After googling and RTFMing, it seems like it might be a UID issue. My user name and password are the same across the network, but my UIDs differ...I've got the same UID on the linux boxes, but not on the Macs. Saw references to "UID/GID mapping", but couldn't find actual instructions.

Ideas? :D

i'm also stumped on this one.. i cant search for the shared folders on my mandrake box.. i am leading to believe that it has something to do with user's and pass word's im thinking about changing my user password to match my server one then see if it work's..

Humm..

You would think that unix / linux would like to talk to each other nicely but NAHH they don't. : O (

Erm, the set UID,GID bits are really for writing so you can write as a user. However its conceivable the permissions are such you cant read.

However its simplest to actually use the same password and user on both.

jleaman... is this in NFS or SAMBA???

If its samba then it could be the password encryption settings

rectcymn : can you post your /etc/exports file ???