Does 9.1 PPC installer do a non-dest. partition?

jkibbe

I'm probably going to install 9.1 PPC on my ibook, but I'd like to know, in advance, if it can perform a non-destructive partition on my hard drive, as the 9.2 Intel installer does.

I was considering using YDL 3.0 again, but I'm pretty sure it will require me to wipe the HD to set up the inital partitions, before the installer makes the partitions that it needs (Mac OS 9).

Thanks!

Last I checked, resizing HFS/HFS+ volumes was a no-go. Reading and writing to HFS seemed to work allright, but access to HFS+ was still experimental (reading seemed to work alright, but no write). When I installed MDK 9.1 ppc on my PBG4 las year it involved erasing and reformatting the drive, leaving unformatted/empty space for the linux install, re-installing OSX, and then installing Mandy in the vacant space. If you have a spare FireWire HD, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to back-up and then re-install OSX.

the install of 9.1ppc is kinda flaky. you have to use the "benh" kernel to get it to work. at least I had to on my powerbook. I've never been able to install via the gui. I had to do it in text mode.

Bummer about the PPC installer, since I'm a newbie...

I got rid of YDL, which installed fine, since I couldn't config the modem. Now I've been told that the modem *should* work fine.

The question is whether I should give YDL another chance (I guess I'm on the wrong board for that question!), or *try* to make 9.1 PPC work for me! I was hoping to use 9.1, since 9.2 is likely going on my Dell soon...

Thanks!

sorry it took me so long to reply, I was away from my computer all weekend. You will be fine. installing the benh kernel is just something you do at the first boot. just press "F1" for more options when it offers you that option.

I wiped the HD clean and put OS 9 on a HFS std. partition and left half of the HD "unallocated" with Apple Drive Setup.

I tried installing 9.1 PPC twice (benh kernel and not), seemingly successfully, and yaboot never loaded upon startup.

I followed the installer's instructions to do a Cmd+Option+O+F startup to enter "setenv boot-device hd:9,\\:tbxl" in Open Firmware mode to give machine the correct location to find the bootloader. Al that I get is my flashing folder with a question mark, since no startup disk is assigned, then a happy mac bootup...

I've been reading scores of pages regarding how to tinker with Open Firmware to no avail...

I thought that boot hd:9,yaboot would give me a one-time boot, but it comes back "bad partition can't OPEN: hd:9,yaboot" That can't be good!

Any ideas???

Frustrated in Pennsylvania... :wall:

:help:

Edited by jkibbe