NVIDIA Driver

Mr. Cat

Hey, I have searched this board for a long time, and cannot find an answer. Sorry If I'm asking something that has already been asked...

In attempting to install my Nvidia drivers, I was required to have the "Kernel Source"

I checked the CD's and could not find it. So I tried

[root@Mandrake-kitty Desktop]# urpmi kernel-source 
no package named kernel-source

I'm on dial-up, so it would be easier to download at work anyway... but can someone point me to the right direction of the source?

[root@Mandrake-kitty Desktop]# uname -r 
2.4.22-10mdksmp

I hope this response is speedy :)

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think its the Kernel HEADERS I need... dunno... someone help :(

Edited by Mr. Cat

The kernel sources will give you the kernel headers.

Unfortunately, you must download the rpm file, because Mandrake did not include them with the download edition. It is a larger file, but you will not be able to compile anything without it.

if you are using 9.2 then the sources are not included in the iso images. you will need to download the source rpm from one of the mirrors and install/use that. the key here is finding the source that corresponds with the kernel that you now use. i think. :roll:

ciao!

Thanks for the Help dudes :)

I figured out why URPMI wasn't workin... I didn't set it up. :P Lorma Linux, which I just migrated from, came with apt-get all set up for me. Unfortunatly, URPMI want's me to download something thats 19.2 mb on dialup :furious3:

I guess I'll have to bring my computer to work.

Again, thanks for the help and I'll let ya know if it works or not.

Mr Cat....

Make life simple and do the INSTALL at work...

If it can't find the right verwion for which iot looks on the internet then it does the compile....

URPMI and dial up is kinda like a horse with 3 legs!!!

Its still MUCH better than RPM becuase it finds the deps BUT when they turn out to be large its...well frustrating.

I tried using mandrake with a work only internet connection for a while and its NOT PLEASANT...

I nearly ditched Mandrake becuase id download a few RPM's put em on a floppy or CD to take home and then find Id missed a 6kb dependency.

URPMI on broadband is like having a different distro.....

I honestly wouldn't wanna try the DL edition on dial-up.

Hopefully in 10.0 they will stop packaging the 1st 'experimental release' and you'll be able to BUY a functioning system on CD....

Presently its just not possible to buy the functioning system....

You have to buy the powerpack then download some 400MB of updates!!!

Personally in your position Id take the laptop in and download ALL the updates at work!!!

Thanks for the advice Gowator, I would like to do URPMI stuff on my laptop at work and then come home and do it on the desktop FROM the laptop, is there a way I can do this?

Hmm... I have downloaded the Kernel rpm several different times from several different places and the md5sum never comes out right, its always the same, but never what the site says. strange strange... im just gonna hope it works.

another interesting thing... why doesnt the pretty 'non-verbose' screen come up when i boot to the smp kernel? only when i boot to the normal... :(:(

NVidia Drivers were installed successfully!!!

I can play Chromium again

:luv: :mdk:

Thanks again for all he help :)

Sorry just been at Linux Expo 2004!!!!

Erm its a bit late so I hope you managed but ...

urpmi --noclean

will stop it delting the packages after it installs and they are left in /var/cache/rpm (if I remember)

The default action is to delete them which is frustrusting in your situation...

If you wanna set this as default then you can alias urpmi urpmi --noclean.

Then it works for the graphical one too.