Linux is BORING

static

well - one of my boxes currently has an uptime of 55 days. it had to be booted cause i was moving power cables around.

and it still sits there - humming away - no problems. yeah -linux IS boringl

And i love it that way!

gowator:

yes it looks interesting.

that makes me think about an other post you made

link

As those post are a little OT, I think I'm going to open an other thread.

Ok I'll name it "Internet: what can be done on my box ?"

Also, for those who are bored, that can be fun too ?

roland

Static: I will double on LFS. Its not hard at all. A newb could do it. Easily. You are practically carried through the install.

Wireless is a lot of fun too. Make sure you get one that isnt linux compatible.

I know how you feel. Maybe you should start *using* your system, lol. Learn some C++ start somethin like that.

iphitus

EDIT: learn the gimp, 2.0pre rocks! :D

Edited by iphitus

Or, install a new video card without preparing for it! I have found that to be enjoyable. Or add a partition to fstab, but then change it to a different format. That's also fun to get out of!

I mean, really, at least break something!

Speaking of video cards... How did you make out with your newest, latest, greatest and faster video card? I take it you got it in... working.

Static: I will double on LFS. Its not hard at all. A newb could do it. Easily. You are practically carried through the install.

Wireless is a lot of fun too. Make sure you get one that isnt linux compatible.

I know how you feel. Maybe you should start *using* your system, lol. Learn some C++ start somethin like that.

iphitus

EDIT: learn the gimp, 2.0pre rocks! :D

Static, Iphitus,

you think I could do Linux from scratch? I've long wanted to build Linux to exactly to my own tastes, with the programs I think rule, with themes I want included, with the settings I think make sense... and still keep it within a reasonable size.

And I mean in every little aspect of it. I'd like to build a 'desktop' distro (well not a distro, rather a system you get the idea) this way, building on the good and bad experience Linux already gave me.

Think I can handle it?

Darkelve

Edit: Hmm, reading the Linux from scratch online handbook, I'll delay this step a bit until I have some more knowledge, e.g. installing from source, which I have never done yet...

Edited by Darkelve

Or, install a new video card without preparing for it! I have found that to be enjoyable. Or add a partition to fstab, but then change it to a different format. That's also fun to get out of!

I mean, really, at least break something!

Speaking of video cards... How did you make out with your newest, latest, greatest and faster video card? I take it you got it in... working.

Yes, it is in and working great. Actually, 2d even looks better, which is a little suprising! So, when do you want your card??? I still have it!

Guest erickleung

Did you tried the latest Mandrake Move? or other Live Linux like mepis.org; pclinuxOS; DamnSmall Linux; ...?

Since the introduction of Knoppix, the Linux is no longer relied on installation or updating to use any new features. You can still keep your Windoz for games or other win32 application. But use Mandrake Move for your real thing.

As there is no more installation is needed, all the trouble regarding hacking, virus, security would be history!!!

The funest part I think is some people tried to put their linux into a 64M USB disk. And use this USB disk to boot up the machine, and copy the whole system onto the RAM, and run from it in a silent and flash-like speed.

Moreover, we just tailor made different images for various purposes.

Just dream that devices like MP3 player, 3G mobile phone, DC, DV, ... could accept this linux, and we can use these device in our own SYSTEM!

In Day-dreaming!!

The funest part I think is some people tried to put their linux into a 64M USB disk.  And use this USB disk to boot up the machine, and copy the whole system onto the RAM, and run from it in a silent and flash-like speed.

Just dream that devices like MP3 player, 3G mobile phone, DC, DV, ... could accept this linux, and we can use these device in our own SYSTEM!

In Day-dreaming!!

Yes, e.g. Slax is doing this, in fact you can already do it now.

However, as I understand from some posts, this is not necessarily a good idea since USB flash disks allow only a limited number of rewrites, and an OS does rewrites constantly. That is, if I got this correctly.

Of course, the absurdly small size of some Live CD's (like Slax), while still being full-featured, opens prospects for the future indeed!

The funest part I think is some people tried to put their linux into a 64M USB disk. And use this USB disk to boot up the machine, and copy the whole system onto the RAM, and run from it in a silent and flash-like speed.

In Day-dreaming!!

Yes, e.g. Slax is doing this, in fact you can already do it now.

However, as I understand from some posts, this is not necessarily a good idea since USB flash disks allow only a limited number of rewrites, and an OS does rewrites constantly. That is, if I got this correctly.

Of course, the absurdly small size of some Live CD's (like Slax), while still being full-featured, opens prospects for the future indeed!

Not quite....

The USB device is written once and then loaded into memory with an initrd.

Thus writing is really only taking place to/from memory.

Of course if you wanna change a CONFIG FILE on the USB this needs a write but mostly the stuff like /var is just being wtitten in memory.

Gowator,

yes, but they were talking about an operating system *completely* on the USB disk, this would include e.g. config files. Of course I guess the smart thing would be to just copy it on a certain location on the hard disk (but perhaps people would also be interested in using it without having a hard disk?).

Yeah but theyre good for like 1000 writes....

Reading is OK, its wrting that screws em....

So what you need is to make config changes in memory and then save them to the compact flash ONLY when you shutdown or explicitly.

I see embedded devices as something that you don't shutdown or such once its working. (Its really the same as a MP3 player)

But I have had problems with hardware devices like routers that do this....

You keep writing new configs back and sooner or later they crash!!!

In my case, sooner not later ;;;;