Linux is BORING

static

No fun, my babe; no fun

--Iggy Pop

Linux is really starting to bore me. I went and opened up mandrake update today. Not much to update.

Nothing's crashed in a while. I haven't needed to reboot or troubleshoot - let alone re-install anything.

All the tasks I ever did in windows (use kazaa, surf, do word processing, play games, chat) are all working perfectly and haven't needed anything by way of fixing or tweaking. I haven't cracked a 'ware in too long.

Now what?? I'm bored! It's like: turn on the computer; use it (everything works); turn it off. Why even my hair is growing back in those spots I'd pulled it out - so now I'm even starting to look normal again too. Sheesh. B-o-r-ing!

It's time you change to a more experimental distro my son.. I actually felt the same way during Mandrake 9.0. If it weren't for Texstar packages I would be bored out of my skull.

But now that I don't have broadband, I am beginning to appreciate a stable desktop.

There are some extra pathces for the new 2.6.x kernel (don't know chiwh one exactly and if it is for multimedia-kernel):

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2221

You could patch teh kernel and try them out :) ....

This is maybe boring for you; don't know ....

If you have a lan and if you have a server, are you pushing it too its limits...?

You have vpn-possibilities, you can remotley access your media, documents, ....

Try out some new software, you have not used yet ?? Maybe an encrypted filesystem??? (there is more than 1 way I read :)), enhance security? Look into filesystemattributes specific to one/more filesystems, .sync your time with a time server, ....

Ofcourse it can be nice to have such a nice functioning system ... :D.

Share the things you did with mandrake :).

Edited by Michel

Or, install a new video card without preparing for it! I have found that to be enjoyable. Or add a partition to fstab, but then change it to a different format. That's also fun to get out of!

I mean, really, at least break something!

Or, you could setup an audio/music server:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=11210

and

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/lirc.html

Or maybe you could write an article on the state of Linux on the desktop; Eugenia of OSNews seems to post all of those except mine..

I suggest you take the exact words of this starting post, makes for a nice start.

boring can be a wonderfull state to be in. when i was in windows, i was tense, anxious, and always wrestling with the system. it helped me learn alot about windows, and troubleshooting. i also learned that theres only so much that can be done in windows. that was my biggest frustration right there. i really hate being limited.

when i installed mandrake, i cant say everything worked perfectly, but certainly better than windows. i had a mysterious problem where all of a sudden X would restart, seemingly for no apparent reason. 9.2 fixed that. i started doin cooker in 9.2, and hosed mandrake.

while i am new to suse, i have had 0 problems as far as system stability. the main thing i fight with is various apps. gaim doesnt seem to want to sign on. somethin about SSL. yes its the current version. yes i tried compiling it. but really, since there is kopete, and linux offers alternatives to its alternatives, this doesnt slow me down at all. it is nice to know that i can boot my system with no worries. or even leave it running with no worries. i'll take being bored any day.

Iggy does rule.

The point was basically that I'm simply NOT used to everything always working. It is nice, and the point, but at the same time: it feels kinda... I dunno, wrong... maybe just different. Don't get me wrong - I'm not looking to break something! I just almost don't quite understand why it all works!

I know! get GAIM, and get YIM...mine usually doesn't work...everything else does, but YIM gets to 50% and locks...

! try to wine windows ! then you'll surely be ripping out your hair again :-P

static:

About tyme to drag up an old thread then :D

Im working on a server distro at the moment based on knoppix....

Well server distro is perhaps a misleading term....

What I want is a turn that old box into a 'appliance distro'....

Presently I am emulating a hardware wifi router :D

I got three NIC's (1 of which is wifi 54G)

One is the external, one is the internal and the other the wifi and routing across them with NAT.

In this respect its replacing a 100$ box so its no real gain :D

However the idea is to have the Webserver/mail server etc all installed and configured too. The idea is ANYONE can get a dynamic dns account and host there own everything....you plug it into a ethernet modem or cable mopdem at one end tap in your account details with an ISP and you have a fully functional mini ISP.....I even considered sticking in asterix....

(This is a SIP phone to normal phone exchange)

Then you plug in PC's at the other end that are allocated DHCP leases and you have an instant home network/firewall/router/

(Basically Im doing this anyway so it makes sense to make a custom CD in the end)

Does this sound interesting ?????

Erm, why am I using knoppix did you say....

2 reasons....

1) Its a very easy debian install

2) I don't know much about debian so this is a surefire way to learn!!!!