My Doom virus

Neemoe

and also, those viruses can indirectly affect linux (as well as any other operating system) because they clog up the internet (or at the very least some part of it) which can result in poor performance in web-related functions (e.g. sending email, teleconferencing with a client-site halfway around the world, etc.).

but other than that, your system is safe for direct infection.

ciao!

Kool,  So if we wanted to rid the world of viruses. wouldn't it be smart for all to use Linux of some type or another???  sounds like a no brainer really.

Neemoe

B)

as much as it really sounds like a no-brainer, the problem is that linux is not for everybody. some are too dumb or too lazy to learn how to use it effectively. sadly, that is the nature of man. :(

ciao!

your system is safe for direct infection

Very true, windowz viriuses should have no effect on linux what so ever, however, you can still pass it on to others if it is on your pc, for example e-mail attachments and such.

I've got 2 windowz pc's on my home network, so I help protect them by running a virus check on my linux box a few times a week, just my little bit of sanity.....

Capn

• 2 weeks later...

Very true, windowz viriuses should have no effect on linux what so ever, however, you can still pass it on to others if it is on your pc, for example e-mail attachments and such.

I've got 2 windowz pc's on my home network, so I help protect them by running a virus check on my linux box a few times a week, just my little bit of sanity.....

Capn

Actually I disagree.

How will email viruses spread on Linux. On windows its all automatic with scripts and stuff. But on Linux you have to make the effort of forwarding it to everyone. I would think that most people here arent in the habit of forwarding exe's, zips, vbs & bats to your friends if you dont know of their contents and havent rn them yourself.

To be frank, to do such a thing would be totally and utterly stupid

IMHO virus scanners on Linux are a waste of time and money. Or at least for now.

Capn

Actually I disagree.

How will email viruses spread on Linux. On windows its all automatic with scripts and stuff. But on Linux you have to make the effort of forwarding it to everyone. I would think that most people here arent in the habit of forwarding exe's, zips, vbs & bats to your friends if you dont know of their contents and havent rn them yourself.

To be frank, to do such a thing would be totally and utterly stupid

IMHO virus scanners on Linux are a waste of time and money. Or at least for now.

Actually, even having a linux box as a firewall will not help a bit in preventing virus attack if you have a vulnerable windows computer in your network. The reason, it spreads by mail, even if the linux firewall is immune, the infected windows client will keep sending out worm-mails to other places in the windows's address book. This could be a disaster if you have an internal mail server with multiple windows clients. The bandwidth would be chewed with all those emails coming and going.

Hence a virus checker for an email server could be important. It checks outoing email messages for viruses and if it detects them, it will stop them, and then gives out a log which computer is sending those worms. Clean up that computer and you save the entire network.

• 2 months later...
Kool,  So if we wanted to rid the world of viruses. wouldn't it be smart for all to use Linux of some type or another???  sounds like a no brainer really.

Neemoe

B)

It really isn't a no brainer, people still can create viruses for linux, but are you going to work hard making a program to destroy the small amount of linux computers or the HUGE amount of Microsoft systems, if your going to work hard to make a virus, you want it to effect the most people, and thats why most viruses are for Windows computers

-Neocytrix

I guess Microsoft knows best .... check  Netcraft as of Feb 13, 2004. :)

Huh?

Is this for real!!?

M$ can't be *that* hypocrite, can they? Well, I know they can, but still... not to mention STUPID! I could show this webpage to just about anyone asking about 'Get The FUD-campaign' to 'enlighten' their minds...

Darkelve

Edit: hah! I found it:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/08/...o_a_point_.html

This is really ironic...

www.microsoft.com runs Linux? Up to a point ...  Around the Net

On Friday Microsoft changed its DNS so that requests for www.microsoft.com no longer resolve to machines on Microsoft’s own network, but instead are handled by the Akamai caching system, which runs Linux.

Akamai provides an internet-wide caching system, which can act as a symmetric defence to distributed denial of service attacks. Just as a denial of service attack funnels traffic from many different points to a single destination, Akamai's DNS servers multiplex requests for a specific hostname to the nearest point to each attacking machine in its global caching system, diminishing the effect of the attack by dividing the inbound requests amongst its many servers, and limiting the amount of DDoS traffic by localising the distance between attacker and target. Akamai presents a more challenging target for a DDoS than any single network, and would seem to be the best practical step where a distributed denial of service is directed at a hostname that the target organisation cannot reasonably take offline.

Edited by Darkelve