Make a Mandrake distribution.

Tux Brothers

Dear sister site,

In our own usergroup we are trying to make a Mandrake server distribution (file/print/web/mail/proxy server "out of the box working").

Our plan was to make a live CD and then from the live CD install all things to the harddisk.

But my questions is, is there another way to do this, is there a util to make our own distribution with the original Mandrake installer, because we dont need the live CD, it was only an idea to use it as an installer.

Greetings Gerard

Welcome!

Use what mdk-devel uses?

[root@localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep rpm

rpmlint-0.55-1mdk

rpm-devel-4.2.2-3mdk

rpm-4.2.2-3mdk

rpm-rebuilder-0.13-1mdk

rpm-get-1.5-1mdk

xrpm-2.2-8mdk

rpmmon-0.6.3-1mdk

rpm-build-4.2.2-3mdk

rpmstats-0.4-1mdk

rpm-helper-0.9.1-1mdk

urpmi-4.4.5-1mdk

rpmtools-4.5-18mdk

rpm-python-4.2.2-3mdk

rpmdrake-2.1.2-1mdk

gurpmi-4.4.2-1mdk

rpmbuilder-0.5.1b-4mdk

rpmproc-2.1.4-2mdk

[root@localhost root]#

BTW Tux Brothers, in the preferences you can specify how big your avatar is. :thumbs:

Edited by bvc

I don't know if it is included with the isos, because I have never looked, but if you download the whole directory tree from the mirrors, there is a script in the misc directory called MakeCD and there is a README there on how to use it. Note that this is not for making a LiveCD, but making your own custom build.

There's something here for more detail:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...ux?topic=MakeCD

And a few random posts here about it:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act...highlite=MakeCD

Thanks for quick answers !

The MakeCD was the answer is was looking for, i was not sure there was a utility like that for Mandy, and now i can go on with it.

I made already several LiveCD's (with USB key support) with the harddisk-installer, but the problem is when you use a system with low memory the systems hangs at booting of the CD, so better use a system with al lot of memory.

Do you think there are people over here, that wants to help with the little project ?

At the moment what we need is someone who can program some stuff to make things work in a window instead of doing configuration in webmin B)

Greetings Gerard

I made already several LiveCD's (with USB key support) with the harddisk-installer, but the problem is when you use a system with low memory the systems hangs at booting of the CD, so better use a system with al lot of memory.

Gerard,

a bit OT ...

How did you build your livecd to get the usb key support working? Which option do I have to append?

Which cvs version of mklivecd?

Gerard,

a bit OT ...

How did you build your livecd to get the usb key support working? Which option do I have to append?

Which cvs version of mklivecd?

I too would like to know more on this.

I'd like to start an office version that could be using only a USB 256 key. No CD :D

And of course, only one language. Could be great for traveling propuses or tech support staff. :thumbs:

Best,

;) Lopo

Edited by humaneasy

Dear Anna (also Dutch i believe?),

I used the CVS 5.7 version and you need the tar.gz package and rip out the livecd utils and install it.

I remember it was not functional out of the box, but it was a simple thing that i changed and then it was working, it had something to do with the hardware detection.

For the USB on key support was very simple, just add the --usb option while compiling the CD and that should do it :)

Greetings Gerard

I can try to help if it's not too complex.

Steve,

That would be great, any help is welcome ! :D

The main thing now is as i mentioned before, the window thing, as i am a very newbe to linux for me its much to complicated.

I made a contol Panel in HTML and its a goodlooking (i think), now if you click (for example) on the Samba manager (in my control panel) KSamba will open and thats good !

But for some modules there are no good window solutions, for example "user management", if you do this in webmin the unix AND samba user are made in only 1 step, thats good !

But it would be very nice to see this not in webmin but in our self-made application, but WITH the funcionality of webmin :P

If you like i can send you the HTML control panel so you can look to it and give your opinion.

We also need a kde-splash screen and a logo, so if there any artist here let me know !

Must we open a new topic for this or... ?

Dear Anna (also Dutch i believe?), 

I used the CVS 5.7 version and you need the tar.gz package and rip out the livecd utils and install it. 

I remember it was not functional out of the box, but it was a simple thing that i changed and then it was working, it had something to do with the hardware detection. 

For the USB on key support was very simple, just add the --usb option while compiling the CD and that should do it  :) 

Greetings Gerard

thanks, gerard.

yes, Amsterdam here.

- My question was, which of the many 5.7 cvs versions, lol, because I am having trouble since 27.1.2004 getting it to work. Jaco is adding almost every day new features - with new dependencies, that I can't solve. Can you remember the date of the hwdetect script you used?

- one more question, i would like to add the usb function but can't test it. Don't own such a toy. Can I just build the image without a usb key attached/inserted? And the created cd later can detect it and save the configuration?

Good luck with your 'server edition' - can't help here

:sad: