Configure PCMCIA?

trunks2k

I'm still trying to get my PCMCIA controller to work. I found out that I didn't have the PCMCIA deamon installed so I installed it via mandrakes rpm installer. But it still doesn't seem to work. On boot it says "Starting PCMCIA....Successfull" but in when looking at the running services after boot, PCMCIA is "stopped". I tried starting it, but to no avail. When getting info on the controller from KDE, it says so controller is found, which I suspect is because PCMCIA is not running. Mandrake says I have to configure it to get it to run. But how do I configure it??

Or is this an auto detect issue? I.E. It doesn't recognize the wireless card I have in the slot so it's not running the service?

If this PCMCIA daemon is the same as the one that's available at http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net, then it should run on my card controller ( ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller).

i have exactly the same problem - Belkin wireless PCMCIA card in my Packard Bell igo4000. Distro I tried was the latest MandrakeMove Live CD.

I quite surprised at this - i have a copy of DemoLinux LiveCD from the summer of last year, and this auto-detected my wireless card without any problems.

It does appear that we have a similar issue. I'm very curious as to what the potential solution is.

I'm just curious if this is a controller issue or a card issue. I glanced through the config file of PCMCIA which tells what module to load for which card, and couldn't find my card anywhere. But would that really stop running the service??? MDE is telling me there is no controller, but Mandrake sees the controller but doesn't want to doanything with it. I suspect it's root lies in the PCMCIA service not running. But how do I get the damn thing to run?

Mandrake PCMCIA support is dodgy.

It works for some but usually if it will work it works first time.

Even if you get it up you need to change the init scripts to put it before the network otherwise its pointless since the network can't start the card if pcmcia isn't started.

I think it comes down to the pcmcia chipset on your laptop.

I dont wanna be too negative but

Try knoppix and see if it works......

If it does then you COULD fix mandrake but it will take kernel recompiles and a lot of work.....

I have to admit this is why I dropped Mandy from my Laptop. Its just too painful. I remember getting it working once in 9.0rc2 with hundreds of hours of work but then as soon as 9.0 came out I had to start recomiling a kernel, patching it etc. and I just couldn't be bothered since I have abuilt in wired NIC.

However the advent of wireless has changed that....

Hence I tried out Linodws laptop edition (this is a whole thread :D)

Short answer it took perhaps 10 minutes to get wifi configured and working vs 100's of hours under mandy......

I dont really like Lindows but .....

I might try knoppix on it next, in fact I know it runs from CD .... so perhaps I can get rid of Luindows from my laptop!!!!!