My Thoughts About Converting People

Steve Scrimpshire

bvc,

I was a bit cryptic and ya missed it :D

What I meant was first we have to replace the .doc,.xls format in offices.

This is happening....

Many coroprations and state bodies (Like California) have banned propretry formats for documents. Several nations are adopting the SAME attitude.

Take the new German anti-decryption law...

Basically although a word file is easy to hack it will be illegal to do so. Not only that but MS will put it on an encrypted filesystem.

Theyre shooting themselves in the foot if U ask me (like I care, id pass em the bullets :D)

So basically, like DVD encryption it might be possible, even trivial to do with a hex editor BUT its illegal therefore companies can't do it.

Now .doc,.xls and .ppt are the PRIMARY reason for most offices to stick with MS ...this changes the equation.

(My company has issues a new guideline on open formats - I should know I wrote it :D)

We standardised on PDF becuase its an open standard, you can download the white-paper (several HUNDRED pages but basically welll never be stuck with MS

Unfortunately we still work in .doc BUT its not an archivable document!!

It cannot be submitted as minutes etc. etc.

Once this changes in the BIG companies they will stop demanding the little companies and service companies send them .doc etc :D

Once they dont HAVE to use it then they will start to question it...

and eventually, down the road you'll be asked to send your CV in an openformat, specifically NOT .doc since it would be illegal for them to read it :D

p.s. Consoles are cheap - GAMES are expensive.

I trade most of mine!!!

You wouldn't beleive what I was playiung last week...

My friend who comes over when he needs space form his girlfriend (before they kill each other - well theyre both American but don't have guns since theyre in France :devil: )

Anyway, big anti-killing guy (/me) has been playing operation desert storm ...

Bah its just a game....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's cause open office rules :P

I don't use it as a replacement for MS word...never used that either...I use it as a replacement for FRONTPAGE! :P

I know, that's cheating...but a.) I can't do tables (to hard to get them the right size) and b.) I COULD fix my site in HTML..but it's soo much easier with a prog! :P

I love linux :D (wow...I say that too much...50% of the time that's my AIM away message too...I'm addicted! :lol:)

Edited by Urza9814

OO rocks. never a problem at my place of work with incoming MicroShaft stuff-the converters are excellent.

No complaints from our customers either when we send out OO stuff saved in MS format. OO is indeed a jewel in the crown of open source.

nope.....same crap. So I fixed it in oo, booted to w2k and screwy again. Nope :screwy: :deal:

Not to mention...who can take the time to logout and in when they want to open a document because oo uses half the swap? We have work to do folks :screwy: ...you'd think updatedb or msec ran :lol: . Heh, sure fella's go get a cup of coffee while this great app starts :zzz::cheeky:

Edited by bvc

No and SO is no better either....

Come to that neither is MS....

To be fair the changes to formatting are NOT massively different to the changes you get with OfficeXX to Officeyy

Just out of interest bvc what are the probs ???

Pagesize, picture frames ???

bullets and lists!

Very annoying!

Edited by Darkelve

No and SO is no better either....

Come to that neither is MS....

To be fair the changes to formatting are NOT massively different to the changes you get with OfficeXX to Officeyy

Just out of interest bvc what are the probs ???

Pagesize, picture frames ???

bullets and lists!

Very annoying!

Mind your language, we'll have less bullocks here! :D

Reply from telewest in case anybody is interested. The tech guys are not too bad, one of them recommended an open source spam blocker.

Dear Sir ,

When we install broadband it is important that you are running a system that meets our minimum specification, This can be found here : http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/fa...aqs/bbfaqs.htm# f.a.q no: 8 . This is to ensure our engineers are working with systems that they have been trained on and ones that we know will work well with our service. For example, Win 98 first edition will not correctly install the usb drivers for the cable modems we use hence we don't support it . However, once our engineer has left , you are free to run any system you like . There is no technical reason why you can't use Linux, you can, and it should work fine but we will not be able to offer you technical support whilst you are running it. So were you ever to have any technical problems, you would need to set back up on a supported system before calling us for help

I hope this clears things up for you ,

Yes Wanadoo sucks.

In france you may try this one

http://adsl.free.fr/hd/description.html

They support Linux .. almost as badly as M$ Win :D

But it's cheap, if you are in the right place you have the TV  B) and when it works it works (I pay for 512K, they gave me 1024K but it fact it runs at 1800+ K  B)  )

.. and it's where ARTEE's site is hosted so it can't be all bad ;)

:oops:  going OT there ...

roland

*GRIN*

Thanks for the compliment Roland, merci bien!

Actually, it's free, but not always worth much -- quite often my site is not reachable...

Thanks for google's cache, it mirrors all my pages :D

On a side note, free.fr is running on debian, which explains somewhat why they are quite clear on howto use their services with linux and all...

On Telewest, I understand that they want you to have one of the systems that they know and support, so that they can rule out any problem on that side; now it is up to the customers to get linux onto the list of supported systems... :P

Main thing is probably do yourself a favour and pay for a ethernet DSL modem..... USB and networking .. I dunno its like not right!!!

Or like i said the other day, possibly here using a wrench to knock in a nail. Sure it can work but its much easier with a hammer.

ARTee/Roland....

Connectivity is REALLY important for me. My mail server inparticualrly needs to be 24*7 ....

Much as Id like to suport free.fr if its not always reachable Ill have to stick with wanadoo !! let me know pls...

gowator:

My politic is: don't put all your eggs on the same basket. Name, connection and disk space (e-mail/web hosting) are 3 different things. The most important is the name as your can't change it easily. If your e-mails are hosted by your isp with your isp's name like gowator@wanadoo.fr, if you want to fire your isp you are on trouble. So better have your own name elsewhere with a redirection to where your e-mail/web are currently hosted.

At work we chose

https://www.gandi.net/index.html.en

It's cheap, reliable and I think they are Linux friends.

Then for the connection, free.fr is a good choice imho.

For the disk space (web/e-mail hosting), like ARTee I had some doubt about free's reliability. At home I'm at free, to be fair, no problem since a while. At work we are there:

http://www.digitaldaemon.com/index0.html

That's a single person company, like a friend, based in the states. (so when I send a e-mail to you, my message cross the atlantics and come back, that's good to make Echelon crazy :D )

Very reliable. A tree felt on his house when there was a big storm recently there but the service kept going :o

The only trouble is payment: he said "pay what you want, when you want". So I don't know how much and when :D

by

roland

edit: on digitaldaemon site, if you are curious and click on Smartsoft, LCC you'll have a bad link. interesting :D but wrong. The real adress is smartsoft.us, _not_

smartsoft.cc

last edit :unsure:

from gandi's "who we are" page:

Gandi is technically and financially totally independent of any other entity : Gandi is not owned by any other company, and all software used was either developed in house or is free software (Gandi has released some of its software. For details: http://open.gandi.net/),
Edited by roland