Thanks, SCO!

arthur

A few months ago I was surfing some news sites, using the only operating system I've ever known...When I came across the curious article about the SCO lawsuit. I thought, hm, I'll check out this Linux thing, and started clicking on the links -

"Timeline of the SCO Lawsuit" Click.

"What is Linux?" Click.

"Download Linux" Click.

I got convinced that the SCO lawsuit was baseless, and I never looked back since. Now I have two Linux boxes running Mandrake 9.2 in school, and once I get all hardware support, I'm installing it on my laptop and be free of Windows forever!!! :D

I'm also going to install it on my siblings' computer and hopefully many more. I'm reading up a lot to get past the newbie level (ashamed to admit I was a windows "resident geek") and this forum has helped me enormously. Even my school project is now about Linux. I'm obsessed.

So there you have it, a successful "conversion" thanks ironically to SCO. :twisted:

So thanks again to mandrakeusers.org!

And thanks, SCO!

------------------------------

disclaimer: this does NOT mean that I don't care about the ongoing lawsuit, I'm on the Linux side now.

The other day I was talking to someone at my company about viruses, e.g. MyDoom, spam etc. and the chap mentioned Linux.

I said "Linux? I'm a bit surprised you know of it."

His anwser:

"Well yes, that is what is the new hype nowadays, isn't it?".

Judging from this, more people *know* about Linux than I suspected, but most still seem to think of it as 'too technical/difficult/...". It all comes down to the fact that, with so many other things too do, they want to use their computer as a tool. But installtion&configuration seems to be a big problem.

So it seems the next landmark Linux has to take is coming on preinstalled&preconfigured systems.

Anyway, glad to have you here!

Darkelve

google bombs aren't vandalism - they can be used to score a valid political point against an opposition. "parasitic leeches" might be libellious though - "sco is lying" might be a better, more polite phrase to use.

nah that is libellous, however SCO have admitted to being leeches:

Our goal is not to blow up Linux. People ask why we don't go after the

distributors...'If you have such a strong case, why not shut down

Red Hat?' Our belief is that SCO has great opportunity in the future

to let Linux keep going, not to put it on its back but for us to get

a transaction fee every time it's sold. That's really our goal.

I don't really know anything about this SCO thing...at all...I suppose I should go search google news...if someone has a good source, and it's not too much trouble, please PM it to me or something...

• 2 weeks later...
I don't really know anything about this SCO thing...at all...I suppose I should go search google news...if someone has a good source, and it's not too much trouble, please PM it to me or something...

There's excellent coverage on

http://www.groklaw.net

I always knew that lawyers were rabid....