Today was a very good day

ezroller

I am a network administrator at McNeese State University. This is a Microsoft only shop. That is if you don't include the sprinkling of macs on the campus. The macs however are not allowed to touch the outside world.

Today, McNeese joins the open source community. There had been an ongoing technology test here. We have been running our mail server on SuSE for the past two years. After seeing that there was not one documented problem with the mail server in that entire two years (special consideration to the admins of that project, they are to be commended) we are switching all of our servers over to Linux. All web, file, and print functions will be handled by some flavor of SuSE. The only different servers will be our domain controllers, which will remain Windows Server 2003. There are also two XServes as well. This is amazingly good news.

It doesn't stop there. We have also decided to switch to mozilla and openoffice.org as well. Saving money, you know!!

Also updated were the job descriptions and qualifications for myself and the rest of my colleagues. We now HAVE to be able to administer Linux on a large production scale.

Thats all, just wanted to share my schools triumph with you all. I'm not sure when the actual rollover will take place, it could be a while for all I know. But at least its happening, right?!

I'm glad to hear it.

You know it's an intersting state we live in. On one hand we have linux slowly but steadly taking over the corporate world and quietly stealing a small portion of home users, but at the same time it si dissapearing from store shelves and the number of major distros is shrinking. MAndrake almost went under, RH pulled out of the non-commercial market entirely and several of the young upstarts like lycoris have totaly failed to gain any real share.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On one hand we have linux slowly but steadly taking over the corporate world and quietly stealing a small portion of home users, but at the same time it si dissapearing from store shelves and the number of major distros is shrinking. MAndrake almost went under, RH pulled out of the non-commercial market entirely and several of the young upstarts like lycoris have totaly failed to gain any real share.

Any thoughts?

Well my guess is that we are in a maturing state. With broadband becoming more widespread, there is not that much reason to use expensive distribution channels anymore. Certainly not for an Open Source model that is now more understood. At the same time, there is a consolidation going on. I think this is a good thing for Linux. The consolidation is required to gain enough critical mass to be profitable. My guess is that you will see different distro's that do more provide community centered services then sell software, or media containing software. There will remain different distro's using the same major building blocks, but offering different types of services just because the needs of the commities are different (e.g. desktop users wanting everything to simply work use Mandrake where you can simply urpmi plf packages, while in a professional environment people will prefer something like SUSE where they can rely on professional support). I guess that in the near future we will see more and more the different distro's specialize into their own niche.

Ciao,

Sitor