Linksys Wireless-B ethernet bridge

Darkelve

Hey all,

my order for the 'Linksys WET-11 Wireless-B ethernet bridge' came in to day, but I'm having trouble setting it up. Part of the problem might have to do with me not knowing enough about networks (well, I do now a little).

The idea was to use this bridge ("wireless enabler") to ENABLE my Linux box to connect to the network (e.g. making the Linksys bridge connect with an Intel Pro/Wireless 2011b access point downstairs).

I have got to use the 'other' OS (windoze) to use the setup utility, but when I run it, I get the error message saying 'no ethernet bridge was found'.

The bridge is plugged into my PC and the leds burning are 'Power' and 'Lan'. No Wlan though, and I guess it is that which should happen. Button is in the "X"-position (connecting the bridge to a PC's network adapter).

:help:

Darkelve

post-9-1075462897.gif

Edited by Darkelve

Okay, I found out I actually disabled the ethernet card(s) under Windows,

:oops:

so I just had to reactivate them.

Now I can connect to the wireless access point under Windoze with the bridge. Proof is that I'm using it now to type this. I also got a LED 'WLAN' shining satisfied.

Any ideas what to do next? I figure launching the command center/drakconnect, but there are *so* many options. Up to now I just tried some randomly, but -of course- with out success.

I'll also include a screenshot of my IP settings. Any hints on how to set the thing up now??

I'm dying to get my Linux box on the web!!!

:help::help::help:

Edited by Darkelve

I'll give this a try....I tried looking up your WET-11 at the Linksys site and turned up nothing. The closest I can get is the WAP11 wireless access point. Is that correct?

My next question: are you using DHCP or manual IP adressing? The Linksys router I have puts up a fuss with my modem when I use DHCP. I've since started addressing my computers by hand. Which unit is the gateway? Are you sure you have the gateway addressed correctly?

I have a WET-11 at home, and if I remember right from when I set it up last year I had to plug it in to the router with an ethernet cable first - so that it could get an IP# from the DHCP server - then disconnect it from the router and connect the remote computer to the WET-11. It worked automagically after that.

Yes, the model is WET11

Well, this is how I did it:

- I already had an Intel Pro/Wireless 2011b USB access device (USB ethernet)

- So I plugged that in to get a connection and configured the Linksys through the setup procedure described in the manual (wizard thing running only under windows).

[[ It didn't work at first, seems I had to re-enable my ethernet card(s) first: Realtek 8139 Family PCI fast Ethernet NIC (This card, I got working working under Mandrake 9.1 with a RJ45 cable to the cable modem). The other one: 1394 connection; I think it has something to do with nforce drivers my system uses. ]]

After that and disconnection the USB ethernet card, the Linksys thing found the Intel access point downstairs. I'm now surfing with it under windoze.

My network setup (Intel Access point) is set in Ad-hoc mode, so I put the same settings for the Linksys.

Linksys Uses:

IP: 192.0.2.4

Ad-Hoc mode

SSID: 101, channel 1

Intel Gateway address: 192.0.2.1

Automatically obtain an IP address (DHCP), I assume from the Intel access point. There's also an option to set it manually but I did not try that.

Every time I try to connect in Linux, it times out. And I always get an SCIO-flags: device or resource busy... I even reinstalled, just to make sure I did not mess up my settings trying to get it right. Still this error

What is strange is that I always get a really weird IP adress this way, e.g. now I have 192.0.2.13, but there are really only 3 systems connected to the network so should be 192.0.2.4 or something.

Edit: sorry, 192.0.2.5. I think I actually misunderstood something here, I thought the DHCP setting was meant for HOW TO GET an IP address from the Intel access point, but as I understand now, DHCP is how it gives an address to the ethernet card. Correct or no?

So could it be the DHCP setting?

I'm thinking I'm also going to read up on security while waiting for your answers. In fact, I don't know if I should be posting all this info (erm, not that I don't trust you, but it does not seem a good idea in general ;) ). Maybe when I get it to work I'll change the numbers to random addresses.

Tx for your replies!

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

DHCP is a way for tcp/ip devices to get an IP address from some router. This way multiple devices share one connection to the internet. Look at your home as a local area network (LAN) ant the connection to your ISP as the wide area network (WAN). you connect your LAN to your ISP's WAN which in turn gets you to the internet. Fun, huh?

Anyway....I don't know what the WET11 is but if it functions as a router, you might be having a conflict between its DHCP and the modem DHCP. That's what happened to me and manual addressing solved the problem. I only have a couple of computers (desktop and laptop) so its not a big deal. DHCP is a LIFE SAVER to IT professionals in charge of hundreds of computers. :)

Well, I will try to configure it manually this evening.

What should I set as subnet mask? Standard it suggests 255.255.255.0

For me I think it does not really matter, since I will NEVER have more than 16 (or even 8) systems connected.

So I will just give the laptops a static address of 192.0.1.2 and 192.0.2.3 (settings in Intel access point)

my Linksys router will get 192.0.2.4 and my ethernet card (my PC) 192.0.2.5 (settings in Linksys ethernet bridge)

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (?)

Any probs with this kind of setup? Seems the most straightforward to me. Of course, if 1 more computer is added downstairs, I'd have to continue with 192.0.2.6. Maybe that could be inconvenient? I suppose it would give conflicts to have 2 addresses of 192.0.2.5 (1 for my PC via Linksys), 1 for e.g. a new laptop directly via the access point.

Darkelve

Latest news: I'm online!

But not with Mandrake... :unsure:

Mandrake somehow did not find the router.

Then I thought: well, I'll install Lindows again, take a chance.

What do you know: it worked!

Despite everything being said in the Windows thread, and agreeing with aRTee (but also Gowator) a lot, this is nevertheless +1 for Lindows.

Under Mandrake, somehow it could not connect the network. It could NEVER find any of the addresses 192.0.2.1 or 192.0.2.4. Wrong setup? Perhaps, but MCC did not really make things that much clearer to me. Lindows: no setup at all.

Even though: my sound still does not work (Mandrake: +1), but I'm going to try Lindows tech support for that. If Mandrake can run it, I have to be able to get it to work with LDS also. I know this can also be said of the internet connection, but:

do you think I am so inclined to get back and try setting everything up again? I was chatting with my sister in mere minutes.

Drawbacks are e.g. the fonts are butt-ugly (well, Mandrakes are definitely better) and OpenOffice is an old version.

Click&Run is a very cool concept, also real easy to install Apps. Right now I'm installing Quake 2, Creatures and Limewire. I'll report back on the results, but do not expect any problems.

Truth be said, I'd still prefer Mandrake and I'd probably be less enthousiastic if my network connection did not work, but it does. And as long as that is the case, I might as well give it a good spin.

So despite Lindows walking on the thin edge of ethical advertising, they make a pretty good distro and it would be no shame for other distro's to take a look at the things it DOES make easy.

Hoping to be back on Mandrake in a while, but it's going to be Lindows for a while. May not please you all, but hey, I'm just being honest here!

Darkelve