Installing Mozilla 1.6 as default

ocaddict

This is my first post here and a big hello out to all!

I know Mozilla is used by not only Mozilla but also Galeon and Konqueror and the version installed on my system is 1.3.1 (Mandrake 9.1 distro). This is a way old version of Mozilla so is there a way to download 1.6 and install it leaving no trace of 1.3.1? I want all the programs to see Mozilla 1.6 as the new default browser.

Any help would be appreciated :)

P.S. I did get it installed but it just through it into a different folder and there were 2 instances of Mozilla on my computer, so I uninstalled it hoping for a better way.

hi ocaddict.....

yes, you can install Mozilla1.6. and, yes, you must first get rid of the older version of Mozilla first. if it is the default Mozilla install from the MDK installation cd's, the easiest way to get rid of it is open Mandrake Control Center(MCC for short)->Packaging->Remove Software. type mozilla in the search box & click search. put a check in the box when it finds your Mozilla install & click remove. quit that & close MCC.

i'm assuming you already have the Mozilla1.6 tar.gz file downloaded. if not, get the file called "mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.6-installer.tar.gz" from the Mozilla Linux download section. once you remove the old Mozilla, install the new version per the instructions at the Mozilla web site. in a nut shell, to install the Mozilla1.6 tar.gz file, open a terminal, su to root, then type........

tar -xvzf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.6-installer.tar.gz --directory=/usr/lib

hit enter

that will put the /mozilla-installer folder into your /usr/lib directory. cd to that folder & type...

./mozilla-installer

hit enter & follow the wizard instructions to install.

NOTE:by installing a new version of Mozilla, you will have to reinstall & relink your various plugins (Java, Flash, etc.). if you are unsure how to do this, please read through this thread Mozilla Java Help. go to page 2 or 3 of that thread & look for mine or ZeroOw's help info. the info i listed on page 2 of that thread has several good links explaining all of the above.

and, welcome to the board!

Chris